chriscraft

Alphabet stamping on a Firefighter Shield

Beautiful work! Makes me want to do one for my helmet... I guess I should check with the chief to see if we are allowed to do black out shields. ;)

If you don't mind sharing what finish do you use for these? I would like to make some but am unsure of what finish would be tough enough. 

Oh and your lettering template is genius! Why the heck didn't I think of that sooner? 

Thanks!

Edited by Sceaden

wow! thanks for the detailed instruction! may I ask where you had your die made?

Do you mind sharing what finish you use and how well it holds up on a fire helmet? 

That is some awesome work, now if our chief would allow us to rock station/truck assignment shields

11 minutes ago, Fire88 said:

That is some awesome work, now if our chief would allow us to rock station/truck assignment shields

They always tend to screw shit up don't they? :) We have the kind of brass that are oblivious to stuff like that, until someone runs their mouth and then everyone gets screwed. 

23 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

They always tend to screw shit up don't they? :) We have the kind of brass that are oblivious to stuff like that, until someone runs their mouth and then everyone gets screwed. 

Yes they do, I'm waiting to hear flack for my mask bag I just made. I'll make a blacked out shield anyways and leave a spot for our truck assignment patches. 

Thank you very much for the great tutorial. I have to make something similar for my metal detecting club. Where did you buy your stamps from? I will need the same size. I have to put mine in a circle.

Jim

13 hours ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

Thank you very much for the great tutorial. I have to make something similar for my metal detecting club. Where did you buy your stamps from? I will need the same size. I have to put mine in a circle.

Jim

Theyre Craftool Alphabet stamps. I bet Tandy should stock them, if not there are plenty of online retailers that carry them. I'm guessing 1/2"

Thank you , Tandy still has them,I sent for them.

Jim

Jim, I used the 1/4" set. Depending on what size leather circle patch your planning on making you could get away with 1/2" letters. 

Sorry for the late reply as I don't get on here too often. I'm usually on during the winter. That's when I start tooling and messing around with leather again. 

Edited by chriscraft

If you don' mind me asking, what size thread are you using. The thread I use looks tiny compared to this and the thread places act like I'm crazy for wanting to go thicker. Also what size gap between the thread do you use. That' some really clean looking stitching

41 minutes ago, Jason046 said:

If you don' mind me asking, what size thread are you using. The thread I use looks tiny compared to this and the thread places act like I'm crazy for wanting to go thicker. Also what size gap between the thread do you use. That' some really clean looking stitching

Im guessing between 277 and 306. I use 277 for a good portion of my projects.. Even at 277 color choices are limited so some are 207

Hey Jason, I used 346 thread with a 5 spi setting on my Cobra leather sewing machine. I've noticed not all thread lays down the same. Some are a little more flexible and some thread is stiffer. I've gotten best results with the stiffer threads like this dark grey thread I used.

I was trying to find Kevlar thread for this small run of shields but it's not available in many colors and have read mixed reviews about Kevlar cutting through leather. 

I'm not looking to produce these for the active fire service. I wouldn't mind making some for decoration, wall hanger type of shield so no issues with using bonded nylon thread.  

Havent been doing much leatherwork for a while now. Just need to get back at it. 

Thanks a bunch, I've hand sewn everything until last month we got a mini 441. So was trying to get that look. If you don't mind me asking where do you buy your thread. Hopefully the polyester thread holds up but regardless the cement should hold it together to that point. We have been doing fire leather as a business for about a year but can't say I have seen many shields nicer than what you did up there. Definitely should get back into it

Jason I really don't have a ton of experience sewing or even ordering thread. I've purchased thread from Bob Kovar over at Toledo Sewing Co. and I've ordered from The Thread Exchange. Looking through my  1 pound thread spool labels I wouldn't be able to tell where each spool came from as they all look the same. Most have a Made in USA label on them.  

I do recall ordering this Dark Gray thread color from TTE, it was listed in the clearance section and they only had a hand full of spools left. The color looks darker on the spool than compared to the finished stitched color. 

Hi, I’m new to leather work and always thought it would be fun to make my own shield. I’ve read tons and searched even more and I found this site. I’ve read through a number of threads on here and looked at many of the members shields. You all are extremely talented and have made some of the most impressive shields I’ve seen so far. I apologize if this is out of line but I’m horrible with sketch art and would like to have some dies made like some of you have suggested and done. I’ve looked for a while for outlines of shields so I can have shape and sizes to send to someone to have it made but I can’t find one. Is there anyone who could share with me where I could call and have some made and is anyone willing to send me a sketch of the ones I’d like to do? Again I apologize I don’t want to be stealing anyone’s ideas but I’m having an issue with finding actual sizes and shapes so I can simply get started. I really like the one Chris has shown here and have seen a few others work I really am wanting to try. Thank you in advance. 

Josh

Edited by JVebbs

On 4/2/2018 at 0:49 AM, JVebbs said:

Hi, I’m new to leather work and always thought it would be fun to make my own shield. I’ve read tons and searched even more and I found this site. I’ve read through a number of threads on here and looked at many of the members shields. You all are extremely talented and have made some of the most impressive shields I’ve seen so far. I apologize if this is out of line but I’m horrible with sketch art and would like to have some dies made like some of you have suggested and done. I’ve looked for a while for outlines of shields so I can have shape and sizes to send to someone to have it made but I can’t find one. Is there anyone who could share with me where I could call and have some made and is anyone willing to send me a sketch of the ones I’d like to do? Again I apologize I don’t want to be stealing anyone’s ideas but I’m having an issue with finding actual sizes and shapes so I can simply get started. I really like the one Chris has shown here and have seen a few others work I really am wanting to try. Thank you in advance. 

Josh

If you use the search bar, likely under "firefighter shields", I recall a thread where there was a pattern or two linked to the thread. 

This is a great thread on the subject, but I have to ask a question. I went back and read, but maybe i overlooked it.

What is the purpose of the piece of metal riveted to the shield?

9 hours ago, Bodean said:

This is a great thread on the subject, but I have to ask a question. I went back and read, but maybe i overlooked it.

What is the purpose of the piece of metal riveted to the shield?

I only surmise is that it is to keep the bend symmetrical along the top half of the shield as the attachment points to the helmet are lower. Otherwise no clue. Most custom shield makers I know do not use it. 

Like JerseyFF said, most custom shield makers don't use them. It's definitely not a FF standard to include a curve stiffener or not. 

It's just one of those "overkill" add-on items that you may or may not ever need. I just wanted it to be hidden within my shield build and not look like it was added as an afterthought. 

How much would you charge for that . I have a friend that wants one, and I don't know how to charge hem 

19 hours ago, Joseph1836 said:

How much would you charge for that . I have a friend that wants one, and I don't know how to charge hem 

This was a side job I did for another company. They charged the customer $1,350 for 9 shields. Ouch!!!

Not only did I provided the design layout and the build specs to be made out of quality HO leather but I also built the first sample shield at no charge. This ended up landing me this small order but it was a gamble on my part. 

If you're building one shield for a close friend, then pricing gets difficult. Im not sure if charging for your time is possible but you will gain knowledge out of the build experience.  

Billing friends for just materials will at least pay for the hobby. As always, try to use the best materials your friends can afford. This makes life easier on you.