Boriqua

Cheap light tent

Thought I would share my cheap set up. It requires virtually no skills to set up and I bet you can even get home depot to cut to length. Its just a simple PVC frame which I throw a white sheet over and attach those cheap clip lights to. I only use incandescent bulbs for the photography but better cameras will let you set the white balance for Fluorescents if that is all you can get your hands on. The picture below and most of the ones on my site were taken with a Cheapy 5 yr old Kodak Easyshare camera. Turn off your flash and away you go. I just got a better camera but I am fairly happy with most of the shots from this inexpensive camera using my quick and easy light tent. I live in kind of a smallish place so when I am done I fold up the sheet and stick it in a bag, pull the legs off the frame but leave the top frame area as one flat attached piece that I lean against a wall in my work room and put the light back out at my work table. With all the stuff you are buying when you start up your new hobby its nice not to have to rush out and buy a camera if you can make the one you have work.

PVC about $7.00

Sheet ... $2.00

Lights ... I think I got them on sale for $7.00 each

None of the pvc is glued so the only other expense is bulbs.

Hacksaw%20knife%201.JPG

light tent.JPG

light tent 1.JPG

Edited by Boriqua
cant spell

another one with the cheap point and shoot camera. Not great but if you want to show your work I think its more than suitable.

Sog%20w%20Firestarter%202.jpg?m=14587162

Thanks for post this.  I always wondered how to take some decent pictures of my work. 

What are the dimensions of your PVC frame?

12 hours ago, keplerts said:

Thanks for post this.  I always wondered how to take some decent pictures of my work. 

What are the dimensions of your PVC frame?

It is about 27" L x 19" W x 19" H

I have been using it this way because it fits nice on my black board but if I had the extra space I would probably go 24" wide for a little more depth for larger items.

Alex

Thanks,  I am going to make one!

Most cameras will have the ability to use something to set the white levels.  Can be fun to set it to something that is blue, red, or black.  Just have to dig around the menus a bit.  My Samsung Galaxy S5 allows for it, called AWB.  I am not sure about the iPhone.

Paint.net is also a free photo application that can easily do color correction.  The thing you need to watch out for is mixed light sources - sunlight and FL for example.  When you have mixed light it doesn't look "off" to your eye, but it really messes with the camera sensors color balance.  Setting the white balance first, if that's an option, is the best method.  Just put a piece of white paper where you're going to have your items and set it.  No need for anything fancy.

and if momma wont let you tear up a white sheet you can buy a half yard or white rip stop nylon, that is the same material that is used in all the pro set ups for shoot through. And most material stores all carry the rip stop. And it much easier to find 5 to 6000 degree light bulbs today than it was years ago, the 5 to 6000 degree light range is what is closest to daylight lighting.

It's getting to where you can find them in high output LED's and not pay more than a few bucks for the option too. No heat, no wasted electrical bill money.  I love progress! :) 

When I grew up, my dad would always pitch a fit if we left lights on.  When I got to pay my own electric bills I soon understood why he was like that and ended up exactly the same.  Now that I've converted most of the house from the inefficient CFL's (sure, they're better than a wire burner, but not all that great on power and never lived to their advertised life expectancy making them more expensive yet), I don't care so much if a light is on or not.

ya all these new fangled bulbs tout will run for years when I am replacing them every 8 to 10 months.

CFL's have never met their stated lifespans for me, and their driving circuits get really hot in extended use.  I used to replace them every 3-5 months in an outdoor motion activated light (rated for 10,000hrs my butt!).  4 years ago I bit the bullet and spend $40 on an LED bulb, then bought another when the second CFL in the same fixture died.  I have a new problem with the fixture - it collects cobwebs from the spiders and I have to go clean them out or the sensor thinks it's dark too soon.  I'm still on those two LED's and they're on 10 hours a day at times.

Same bulb would cost about $25 now - worth it in time saved not climbing the ladder to swap them.  I almost don't care they use less electricity, but I'm thrilled I don't have to change them anymore.