This is the 4th one I've made recently -  each one a little different (and hopefully a little better). I had some camera issues when cases #2 and #3 were made so unfortunately I don't have pix of those. The biggest difference between this one and the earliest ones is - On the first one, the inside pockets that holds the phone were made from a heavy clear vinyl, which I wasn't really thrilled about. On the second one I purchased a rubber case to fit the phone and mounted inside the case I made. After discussing with a few helpful forum members in the "Critique My Work" section, the thought of trying Kydex occurred to me. I like it, and plan to use it for now on. I think it makes the case look more professional. Critiques, ideas/suggestions are always very welcome. Thanks!

Bob

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

Edited by bob21804

Looks really good to me...I like it alot!  Is the kydex just one cotinious piece and glued on to the leather? Did you form it with a hair dryer or something right agaist the phone?  Maybe think about adding some texturing / scales / skin to the dragon next time...It appears you have artistic talent unlike mysef...LOL  Again...I like it! Thaks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Bruce H said:

Looks really good to me...I like it alot!  Is the kydex just one cotinious piece and glued on to the leather? Did you form it with a hair dryer or something right agaist the phone?  Maybe think about adding some texturing / scales / skin to the dragon next time...It appears you have artistic talent unlike mysef...LOL  Again...I like it! Thaks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment, Bruce. Yes, the Kydex is one continuous piece. I cut it to the size of the phone and added tabs on 3 sides, located to keep the charging port and buttons easily accessible. The side with no tabs allows the phone to be removed when desired. I used a heat gun to form the tabs over a small wooden block the same thickness as the phone (1/2"). I'm thinking of including a hole in the back of the case, on another design revision, to allow the camera to be used while still in the case. And yes, it is glued to the leather, not stitched. I used Barge, and it seems VERY secure. I glued and stitched in a previous version, but was advised by a more experienced member, that a good quality glue would hold very well.

Actually, my artistic ability is quite limited, but I'm trying to improve. I usually print a design I find online and trace a pattern. I've been afraid to do much more than line drawings, on anything except practice pieces or items for myself, to this point. I am taking steps to improve in this area though. I'd like to get much better at both stamping and carving - pictorial and figure carving, more than Sheridan/Western style. This weekend I'm attending a carving class at a Tandy shop a few hours from here, and I'll be inquiring about other classes, both online and live, if possible. My intention is to keep learning more, and keep practicing the skills. Hopefully some day I'll be able to produce items nearly as good as some of those I admire here on the forums.

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by bob21804

Thanks, Tom. And thanks again for the Kydex tips. After a couple tries, I found the easiest way for me to get the sizing exact and the Kydex marked for cutting is to print the pattern in Corel, then cut it out, Elmer glue it onto the sheet of Kydex and cut it out with my scroll saw. Peel the paper off and it's done quickly and accurately.

What weight leather did you use?

It's  4 - 5 ounce. The lining is a thin pigskin. 

How did you attach the kydex? Cool idea

On 28/04/2016 at 7:26 PM, bob21804 said:

And yes, it is glued to the leather, not stitched. I used Barge, and it seems VERY secure. I glued and stitched in a previous version, but was advised by a more experienced member, that a good quality glue would hold very well.

I'll briefly break down few methods I used on several phones, and the results.

1. On the first one (my own) - Used some of that heavy, clear vinyl, like grandma used to cover her sofa (kept the sofa clean, but God, was that uncomfortable), to make little pockets to hold the phone in place. Glued and sewed the pockets to the case. It was kind of clumsy, looked ok, but eventually the pockets tore. I won't use this again.
  2. Next tried a dollar store rubber case made to fit an iPhone. Glued (Barge) that into the case.  I checked with the girl I made it for, a few times, over a couple months. She said it's held up fine. I would use this again, (If a dollar store rubber case is available for the phone you're making a case for and #4, (below)  isn't an option).
  3. Made the custom holder using Kydex - Barged in place - I think it looks quite professional, but adds a little more time to the construction. When I didn't have the phone on hand when forming the holder, it was common to have to reheat the Kydex and make adjustments to get a very good  fit. It's really best to make sure you have a perfect fit before installing it in the phone, I think. Definitely a good choice, but does ad a little more time.
  4. Last version - Many people have a fitted plastic case for their phone, which is very similar to the dollar store rubber one mentioned above. Rough up the parts and Barge together. If this is available, it's my first choice, as you're guaranteed a perfect fit and it reduces the build time.

My next version, I plan to experiment with a case I already made for a friend. I'll cut a hole through the back of the case, and sew around a 'window", so he can use his camera without removing it from the case.

I've taken a week off leatherwork, trying to get the jungle (my backyard) under control, and I'm really itching to get back to work.
Edited by bob21804