Kristy

What am I doing wrong? Braiding around a core.

Hi everyone,

I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong. I am new to braiding and have just started trying to learn how to braid around a padded dowel core with kangaroo laces.

Obviously, in the top picture of my latest attempt I have relaxed the tension to take the photo, but the braid seems to end up looking this loose regardless of what I do. Will it tighten up if I continue? I have been undoing it and restarting over and over due to the looseness, but maybe I should be leaving it and tightening it later (as I did in attempt 2, below)? 

I'm not sure if I've not prepped properly or something. I am using pre cut kangaroo laces.

Should I be bevelling the underside of the lace first? Or sanding it to help it stop sliding around?

Any advice appreciated. Will attach three pics of three different ones I have started and become a bit disappointed in.

Thank you for any and all help.

3rd attempt: 28 strand kangaroo lace, tasmanian oak dowel padded with vege tan and taped.

IMG_20160425_131224.jpg

First attempt: 8 strand kangaroo lace, around fiberglass rod

IMG_20160420_123055.jpg

2nd attempt: 12 strand kangaroo lace, around fiberglass rod

Even tightened each lace with a fid but can still see the rod underneath.

Screenshot_2016-04-26-13-17-57.png

The part I have highlighted in pink is the part I tightened by hand, loop by loop.

I mean, you can see that tightening has made some difference, but I would expect it to be more taut. Should I be using more pressure? (and yes, I can see that I have not been braiding straight, I am working on it :) - for attempt 3 I wedged the end in a vice and that helped enormously).

2016-04-26 13.30.27.png

Apart from the tension (and the line!) if you can see anything else I need to do differently, please say, I am eager to learn.

Thank you again for any advice or comment you can offer. :)

Edited by Kristy

Hi Kristy

I can't see anything wrong from pictures / other than the wood dowel diameter is  to large for the cord width you are using

to determine the correct width required 

3.142  (Pi) brought to closest decimal is 4 so multiply diameter of dowel 10mm / divided by number of strands you are using 

eg if dowel is 10mm diameter and you are using 

12 strand braid

= 10 mm  ( diameter of dowel) multiply by (3.142) closest is 4 

so you get 4.0 multiply by 10  = 40  divided by number of strands (12)

So you need 12 strands approx 3.3mm

based on this formula you should be okay

Cheers

from Australia

16 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Hi Kristy

I can't see anything wrong from pictures / other than the wood dowel diameter is  to large for the cord width you are using

to determine the correct width required 

3.142  (Pi) brought to closest decimal is 4 so multiply diameter of dowel 10mm / divided by number of strands you are using 

eg if dowel is 10mm diameter and you are using 

12 strand braid

= 10 mm  ( diameter of dowel) multiply by (3.142) closest is 4 

so you get 4.0 multiply by 10  = 40  divided by number of strands (12)

So you need 12 strands approx 3.3mm

based on this formula you should be okay

Cheers

from Australia

Thank you!

The strands are 3mm, the fibreglass rod is 8mm, the wooden dowel is 18mm  so I think that works out?

Thanks for looking this all over and for your help. And I am also in Australia! :)

I guess it is just down to more practice. 

Cheers,

Kristy

Well, this is how it turned out.

Not perfect by any stretch, but the first one I've completed.

2016-04-27 02.56.14.png

Edited by Kristy

My hints, for what they are worth.

1. you need to bevel the inside edges to get a flatter lay on your strands. If that is what you are after.

2. Use way more creme on your strands than you think you need. This keeps them moist and will aide in your pull to keep your braid tight.

3. Draw a straight line down your dowel. Pick a color and make sure it always lands on the line. This will straighten up you braiding lines. Learning to braid a straight line is getting your pull constant. Getting the pull right usually comes with lots of practice.

good luck

Joel

Thank you, Joel!

All of those tips are really helpful - thank you for taking the time to respond. :)

Hey Kristy,

Where did you learn how to start this 8 strand braid around a core?

Thanks!

On 20 May 2016 at 5:17 AM, DanielPNW said:

Hey Kristy,

Where did you learn how to start this 8 strand braid around a core?

Thanks!

Hey Daniel :)

I know there are a lot of good books and resources out there, I did it the hard way - online tutorials and videos.

Theses ones I've found helpful:

For starting the braid around a core, I used Shane Hutchinsons tutorial: This is part of a series, this is the section where he braids around the handle

I also use his video on Turkshead knots

I don't use paracord, but found this a good video: How to start a braid using a Spanish Ring Knot

As for the different braiding patterns ... I do have a document with probably more than a hundred different tutorial videos and articles I've watched over the last few months trying to learn. If you the links above don't help much, let me know where you are getting stuck and I'll send you the list of the ones I found most helpful. :)

Cheers,

Kristy

When braiding I will mark a cord, usually on the left side. In this case you have 8 strands ( 4 to each side). I mark the bottom cord left side and then start braiding. when that marked cord is on the bottom again, I push my braid up and then retighten all the cords pulling one side then the other starting with the top cord on the left side. do the top left then top right, then 2nd left and on down the line. I think you'll find this will tighten your braid and cover your dowell better. any questions just ask.