krominix

Handbag Made with Italian Veg tan

The bag is made from Italian Veg tanned leather from Conciera Walpier. It is Called "Buttero Leather" I lined the inside with Veg tanned sheep skin. Sewn by hand @7spi with 532 Fil Au Chinois Lin Cable. Cant see it in the photos but the bottom has 4 gold feet and bag stiffener to hold its shape.

7H5SD5v.jpg

PPOVvAK.jpg

TGtHKzT.jpg

Nice bag, but what weight is the leather? The ones I've seen have been around 2mm but this seems thinner. May I ask where you got the leather from? Have failed to find any reseller here in Europe, and I contacted the tannery but they have currently a minimum order of 50 square meter, a bit more than I currently need. I've seen Buttero a few times but yours seem very smooth, did you burnish the surface? Also, Buttero is a veg tan leather, but on the picture of the handles the leather seems light on the edges, did you paint them instead of burnishing?

Edited by ConradPark

2 hours ago, ConradPark said:

Nice bag, but what weight is the leather? The ones I've seen have been around 2mm but this seems thinner. May I ask where you got the leather from? Have failed to find any reseller here in Europe, and I contacted the tannery but they have currently a minimum order of 50 square meter, a bit more than I currently need. I've seen Buttero a few times but yours seem very smooth, did you burnish the surface? Also, Buttero is a veg tan leather, but on the picture of the handles the leather seems light on the edges, did you paint them instead of burnishing?

The Buttero is 1.2mm I got the leather from the tannery as a "sample order". I didn't burnish the surface, all the buttero i have is very smooth. I also painted the edges with Vernis 600 wax instead of burnishing for a more professional look. Yes, buttero is 100% vegetable tanned.

Wow really nice looking!

I love the work, but I have a question.  If it is primarily composed of Italian tanned French leather, how can it be stamped "Made in the USA?"  I think there are some legal requirements to allow that moniker related to the country of origin for material content.  Also, I would like to think someone using inexpensive chrome tanned leather imported from a country that has subsidized its production would not be able to compete with a product that is truly made in USA, and thus has supported American jobs and followed laws and regulations intended to protect the environment from gross pollution - by simply stamping it as though it were Made in USA.

Likewise, if you have used expensive luxury Italian leather, why would you want to brand it Made in USA?  Just things my inquiring mind want to know . . .

YinTx

4 hours ago, YinTx said:

I love the work, but I have a question.  If it is primarily composed of Italian tanned French leather, how can it be stamped "Made in the USA?"  I think there are some legal requirements to allow that moniker related to the country of origin for material content.  Also, I would like to think someone using inexpensive chrome tanned leather imported from a country that has subsidized its production would not be able to compete with a product that is truly made in USA, and thus has supported American jobs and followed laws and regulations intended to protect the environment from gross pollution - by simply stamping it as though it were Made in USA.

Likewise, if you have used expensive luxury Italian leather, why would you want to brand it Made in USA?  Just things my inquiring mind want to know . . .

YinTx

I'm not sure I understand. I am an American citizen and I made this bag with my own two hands in the United States of America. Thus, it is made in the USA. 

Cheers!

The Federal Trade Commission publishes the regulations.  Directly from the FTC web page:  (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard)

"

THE STANDARD FOR UNQUALIFIED MADE IN USA CLAIMS

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

"

Your product contains content that is not of US origin, so it is not all or virtually all domestic origin.  That is where my questions came from.

But I am really surprised you would not highlight the fact you are using some really nice Italian leather, instead of trying to claim it is US content (leather).  Thats all I was wondering.

YinTx

The first line of my post is " The bag is made from Italian Veg tanned leather from Conciera Walpier". I would say that I am indeed highlighting the fact.As far as the other portion, I dont know what to say. I try not to live my life in fear of what the government has to say. The stamp is my logo and i make all the products by myself with my own two hands here in the USA. To me the is made in USA. I could care less what the govenment or FTC has to say about that. I also use all kinds of leathers, Horween Wickett & Craig, Hermann Oak. Chevre Sully, Minerva Box, Museum calf etc. For me to stamp this bag "Made in Italy" would be even more misleading, don't you think? It would imply that I didn't make it myself and that I had it made for me somewhere in Italy. 

I think it depends on if you want to comply with the legalities of "Made in USA" or not. Assembled in USA for this case is closer to the truth but Made in USA sounds better. It comes down to if you want to sell things by being "Hand made in USA" or you want to tell your customers the truth that you assembled the bag with items made in Italy/France/Germany/China/where ever

How about..."Made in USA of imported materials"

On 5/3/2016 at 11:19 PM, thefanninator said:

How about..."Made in USA of imported materials"

I was gonna go with:

H A L F M O O N

MIAMI

MADE IN USA WITH MATERIALS OF US AND/OR IMPORTED ORIGINS

I like yours better though. :P

I have wanted to say Made In USA on a lot of my stuff, but since some of the leathers are imported, I have not.  So I have been trying to find a tag that says "Assembled in USA" or some such thing, but have not been able to find one yet.  

And interestingly, I think a lot of the "Made in USA" tags are imported as well, so there is that.

So this topic came close to home since it is something I've been wrestling with recently, and I appreciate everyone's candid candor on the issue.

YinTx

That's funny Yin. So actually cars aren't Made in USA but assembled there. Anyhow, it may just be me, but it sounds odd to me if a leather item carries a tag saying assembled in USA or where ever. How about Handcrafted in USA or does the material have to be from the US in this case as well?

On a side note, the US Marine Corps forces their licensees that the tag Made in USA is to be placed on the item even though it wasn't made in the US as soon as the US Marine logo is used.

First of all.....nice handbag.  This post and conversation is very interesting to me.  Along with my leather items, I also make oiled and waxed canvas tool rolls that I convey to my customers that they are "Ranch made in the USA".  Which they are .... and I don't know the exact origin of the canvas...could be USA, could be somewhere else..... I would not in any capacity say "Ranch made in the USA (out of canvas from Vietnam) .... my $.02 cents

On 5/1/2016 at 7:52 PM, YinTx said:

The Federal Trade Commission publishes the regulations.  Directly from the FTC web page:  (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard)

"

THE STANDARD FOR UNQUALIFIED MADE IN USA CLAIMS

What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

"

Your product contains content that is not of US origin, so it is not all or virtually all domestic origin.  That is where my questions came from.

But I am really surprised you would not highlight the fact you are using some really nice Italian leather, instead of trying to claim it is US content (leather).  Thats all I was wondering.

YinTx

I know I am a little late to this one but I was under the impression that it had to be 51or 54% US material/made to qualify. That is how things like Harley Davidson can still claim made in the US but Victory is actually more made in the US then Harley is. I dont know if its true or not but heard that Harley would send the frame material out to china to be welded into the frames then ship them back because overall it was cheaper then having it welded here in the US. 

Real nice bag by the way.