georgeandgracie

puckers in waxed canvas stitching

That's way too high. Head only in good shape $400 tops. 

Regards, Eric 

Whew! That's good to know. I will hold out.

I finally had a chance to sew a sample of our waxed canvas on one of my Singer 211G157's. The thread is T60 polyester core/cotton wrap. The needle is a 135x17 size 18 with a round cloth point. I simply folded over a piece and topstitched it down at about 1/16". I really like the way a needle feed handles the waxed canvas. As I said before, the only time I'll use a walking foot machine is for binding.

Regards, Eric

waxed canvas.jpg

Here's another sewn sample with the same waxed canvas but using T70 bonded nylon, same size 18 needle. No tension adjustment.

I edited this to add a picture a rolled hem which was shown in the original post.

Regards, Eric

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

Edited by gottaknow

Not sure if any of these would be a viable option but is the pfaff 561 needle feed or something else, there is one on the denver cl for 550. This juki also https://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/5520483606.html although more expensive at 800. I am not sure what those go for. Goodluck with your search.

2 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Not sure if any of these would be a viable option but is the pfaff 561 needle feed or something else, there is one on the denver cl for 550. This juki also https://denver.craigslist.org/bfs/5520483606.html although more expensive at 800. I am not sure what those go for. Goodluck with your search.

https://www.libble.de/pfaff-561/p/377625/

Greets

Ralf C.

I make "rope pads" for our technical rescue team out of multiple layers of heavy (though not waxed) canvas, using my Pfaff 481-34/02 needle feed machine. I've used it with T-80 Nomex thread on heavy seams doing other things like FR aprons for welders and smiths...it is not the slightest bit temperamental. Pfaff made several very similar models of this needle-feed machine, and you can find them for nearly give-away prices if you watch the markets and lists carefully. The only *ding* I'd give them is the standard sized bobbin capacity, which is still not too bad for T-70 thread. Documentation for mine is simply excellent.

-DC

Eric, your stitching is ideal. What does it look like on the other side? Does waxed canvas stitching always look better on the top side?

If I manage to get a 211G157, would there be any reason to keep the Consew 206RB-3? Would I need it for very heavy non-waxed canvas, 24 ounce or heavier? Or would the Singer do just as well?

1 hour ago, georgeandgracie said:

Eric, your stitching is ideal. What does it look like on the other side? Does waxed canvas stitching always look better on the top side?

If I manage to get a 211G157, would there be any reason to keep the Consew 206RB-3? Would I need it for very heavy non-waxed canvas, 24 ounce or heavier? Or would the Singer do just as well?

Unlike leather, the bottom stitching on woven fabric should not appear much different than the top. The white discoloration you see is the wax. It will "heal" itself as the oil wicks back in and the material is handled. We will often sew inside out, say on the rolled hem of a jacket. I have to make sure the tension is balanced, probably the most common adjustment in the factory. We don't allow the operators to make tension adjustments. In our waxed fabric, needle holes are permanent and the garment becomes a second. i would keep your other machine.  About the time you think you don't need it, you will. There could be times when you need it, say for binding. We'll sometimes bind the edge of our waxed canvas with a heavy cotton twill. I put the word out to some dealers I know who will keep an eye out for a 211g157, people I trust. 

Regards, Eric 

Eric, I am so grateful to you.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:25 AM, georgeandgracie said:

Aha!!

So that is why the advice from Fairfield to loosen the tension did nothing but cause additional problems.

Apparently this means that I need to replace my Consew 206RB with something else. Yikes! What might some appropriate needle feed machines be? I think there is an auction coming up that may have some industrial machines, maybe old Singers.

I have a consew 206RB-5 and it is a needle feed walking foot, if I'm not bad fooled the 206RB-3 is also a compound needle feed machine. Don't know the answer to your problem but don't think you need another machine.