I  lust finished making a plain black belt.

I used H.O. leather I just purchased from hide & leather house.

I dyed the belt with fiebings pro oil dye.

One way I thought to finish it is :  buff the belt to remove any dye, then use acrylic resolene.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Your way will work fine.

I like to finish with Montana Pitch Blend Paste, buff, then two or three coats of a clear wax shoe polish..buffing between each application. 

4 hours ago, Troy I said:

Your way will work fine.

I like to finish with Montana Pitch Blend Paste, buff, then two or three coats of a clear wax shoe polish..buffing between each application. 

Funny, I just purchased Montana pitch blend.

I'll have to give your way a try.  Thanks !

I am a real newbie at leatherwork. imammanoutnto finish my first knife sheath and of course I dyed it black! From what I have read on this forum "never dye anything black"! Tandy sells a lot of black dye. There must be a way to keep the dye from rubbing off on the user. 

I have used lexol after buffing, then buffed again, and now coated with 50/50 Resolene and water mix. Next I will wax either with Carnuba or neutral shoe wax. Is this good for long tears?

Someone must know how to keep black dye from bleeding thru. I used Fiebing's USMC black, three coats. Now I read it's not good! What to do??

The first couple of projects that I did were black, what I would do is take a rag or towel and rub in the die until you get very little residue coming off of the leather on to the rag or towel, I then would take the ( in this case a belt) over to an electric buffer and use a buffing wheel and buff the crap out of it.  Then I would go back to the towel for a few more rubs till again very little rub off then clear coat, that is what I have heard you have to do in order to not get the rub off from the black die. Again that is what I have been doing, and it seems as though that it is only the black that creates the problem, I have not had any problems with any other colors.  If someone wonders what type of buffer, it is one you can buy at harbor freight and a buffing wheel that would be used for metal, just a 6 inch cotton buffing wheel, and buff the heck out of the leather till no more rub off that is the key so I have heard.

thanks for the response. I pretty much did what you suggested except I do not have a buffer...yet. I did buff I by hand until the cloth showed very little dye. I then coated with diluted Resolene 50/50 with water and let dry over nite. Seemed to have worked. I also coated with Carnuba type wax I had on hand, and it sealed the dye.  

First knife, hand made and first sheath. Now I have two new addictions. AND I am also oldandslow! Thanks again!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 4trout
Added pics

That's a good looking knife.

something I picked up from the older farts (Imagine that) is square points on holsters, and it might apply to a sheath as well is to round the corners.  I might be full of it, but something about the squared corners drew my eye to them, you might want to try and round them off.  I might be full of it, but it might change the appeal of the sheath.