Chopinzee

Searching for Nakajima 381L info

I just purchased a "new" (only new to me--actually quite old) machine for sewing leather.  It is a cylinder bed Nakajima 381L machine with a Consew clutch motor.  I figured it was a safe choice because I knew it was well maintained and the previous owner had used it to make exactly the kind of stuff I want to use it for (lightweight bags and wallets).  Now that I have it at home, I'm realizing what a complete newbie I am at this, and how difficult it is to set everything up without a manual--so I decided to send an SOS to you folks to see if anyone knows more about this machine--or even a similar machine that would be easier to find a manual for. After googling a few different machines, it *looks* most similar to the Juki DSC series.  It lost a bit of oil on the trip from NY, and the markings for where to oil it have all rubbed off.  Any thoughts on what needles and thread to use?

That model seems to be a pretty uncommon mix of machine designs, though it should be a pretty good quality unit. I found this video of a slightly different subclass:

....and while it seems to use the popular Pfaff 335 cylinder arm mechanisms, there are some differences. The machine in the video has some sort of extra hardware behind what is called the "hook cover" on my Mitsubishi CU-865, and the feed plate is much thicker and has an oval shaped through hole which suggests it isn't used for a synchronized binder on this model, at least the way its equipped, while it *does* seem to have the familiar beehive spring at the pivot point.  It could *possibly* have an unusual 4 motion underfeed, but its hard to see. You should post some pictures of the business end of the cylinder arm, and maybe a video of the feed dog area in motion. You can see the locations for several of the red oiling holes on the video, if yours is similar.

-DC

I don't find anything closer than the Juki DSC either, and it really does look similar. I'd go with whatever the Juki DSC 245 uses for starters. Looks like a horizontal lower feed is all that is offered on the Juki, so it probably does share that as well. 

You can get the engineer's manual for that machine here:

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/JUKI%20SERVICE.htm

...and compare it with the Nakajima. Looks pretty close, as you say.

-DC

Thanks Sark, just ordered the DSC245 manual.  Here's a pic of my machine!1.jpg

And I just posted a quick video of it sewing: 

Chopinzee,

I have a friend who has one of these and we had a heck of a time finding a manual and parts list for this.  When Juki bought Nakajima about 15 plus years ago, they changed  some of the model numbers.  Most people may not know that Nakajima developed the 441.  Juki engineers went thru it and changed a few things for the better and kept the same model number.  In the case of the 381L, the changed the number to Juki 245 which you got info on.  They also kept the number on the DSU 1541 the same. Hope that helps.

glenn

Thanks Glenn, 

That makes sense.  A few things in the 245 look slightly different but it's close enough that if I ever need to take it in to a mechanic, I think with the 245 manual they could figure it out. I'm liking the machine so far; gotta get used to the speed of the clutch motor!

Hannah

Replace the clutch motor with a servo motor.  You can set the speed and it is so much easier to control.

glenn