Daniel G

Trouble Installing Singer 31-15 Roller Foot

I picked up a 31-15 and everything works perfectly. I ordered a roller foot and tried to install, but there seems to be way too much pressure on the foot. I'm not sure if I got the wrong roller foot or I'm doing something wrong. Pics shortly. 

There are roller feet with different roller diameter available.

To solve your problem you could remove the foot pressure thumbscrew, rise the presser foot bar and you are ready to go.

Edited by Constabulary

54 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

There are roller feet with different roller diameter available.

To solve your problem you could remove the foot pressure thumbscrew, rise the presser foot bar and you are ready to go.

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a small roller foot. Would this be the thumbscrew? 

IMG_20160501_143116_kindlephoto-12313272

Edited by Daniel G

pull the end cover off the machine,  you will see the presser foot bar with a block on it.  loosen the screw and raise the presser foot bar.  

That is the presser foot pressure screw. Remove it, then loosen the screw or screws that secure the presser foot raising block to the bar, raise the bar until the unfolded foot sits flat against the feed dog, then tighten the screw and reinstall the spring.

20160501_151046.jpg

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

That is the presser foot pressure screw. Remove it, then loosen the screw or screws that secure the presser foot raising block to the bar, raise the bar until the unfolded foot sits flat against the feed dog, then tighten the screw and reinstall the spring.

20160501_151046.jpg

Got it! You guys rock!

Wiz, Constabulary, and Ken Nelson

Edited by Daniel G

I am not sure of the importance, but they sell a feed dog / needle plate for use with a roller foot. I had followed the steps outlined by the Wiz and it was no big deal.

Lee in Florida

s-l500.jpg

I normally sell them as a full set too.

It is not a huge issue.

Unless the machine being converted has wide feed dog teeth on the left of the needle hole, I recommend buying the complete roller foot conversion kit. The feeder that come with the kit places a nice wide aggressive tooth dog exactly to the left of the needle and allows you to position the edge of the roller directly next to the needle.

Good job! Nice to see how it's done, thank you for sharing. I may have to do this on a machine soon.