rfkoen

Tacsew T111-155 not working

My wife just turned on ojr machine and we smelled ozone and the machine had a slight hum but not its usual running noise. Where is the most likely place to.start for.figuring out the problem?

What kind of motor on it?  It is very likely a motor problem.

Motor says FDM clutch motor model DOL12L

It might be that the capacitor on the motor is shot. If the machine is still on warranty, I would talk to the dealer... if not the good news is there are a ton of used clutch motors laying around, a forum member near you may have one for real cheap or free.  I would upgrade the sewing machine to a servo motor (with needle positioning).  They are far superior to clutch motors. Servo motors are quiet and give you much better control of your machine. 

Anyone in central Indiana have a 1/2 HP clutch or servo motor for sale?

Call Indianapolis Sewing Machine on Shadeland Avenue. I have had good luck with their servo motors they sell for $135. I have 3 of them. 

They should have them in stock.

Edited by BigMatt

Most of the used clutch motors laying around are from machines getting switched over to servo motors.  I have a pile of clutch motors but am too far away.  Any of the sewing machine dealers that support this forum can set you up with a new servo motor (see the ads at the top of the page).  Cost is about $180 and not difficult to change over.  After your wife sews with the servo motor for awhile, she will be happy that the clutch motor quit.

Look to Craigslist in your area. My favorite place. :) 

You never know, if you say you are looking for one, you may find somebody who would rather give you one that pay the dump fees.'

In my book, free is worth the time to fiddle with it.

Let us know what you come up with.

Pull the cover off the end of the motor and go to the nearest small appliance dealer with the capacitor which is either a bulky tube or cube.

A new capacitor is cheap and as long as a burnt out capacitor has not damaged the motor - rare - then it is a cheap fix.

Usually a blown capacitor is obvious as they tend to rupture.

There are a couple of ways to test them but you either need a mega tester, capacitor tester or a cheat that is preserved for electricians.