Hello all,

Can drum dyed leather be tooled and harden? I'm having tough time specifically burnishing an edge. Please educate and advise. Thanks.

depends on the type of leather. If it's drum dyed veg tanned then yes. If it's drum dyed chrome tanned then no

I tool drum dyed skirting and then antique with a darker color over a resist. I love the look. As Halitech said above, chrome tanned will not work. With veg-tanned, the quality of the leather itself will determine the ease with which it burnishes.

I'm thinking that the leather is chrome. It doen't mold or tool well. Is there some product(s) that can stiffen the edge of leather of this leather. I've tried edge kote and waxes that have noe effect. Saddle soap seems to give it a slick and together edge but is very supple.

if it's chrome tanned, the only thing you can try is an electric heat edger but you are looking at big money to buy one but it's not going to stiffen it, it will just smooth it out