treq10

Finish Flesh Side of Belts

I'm making belts with W&C English Bridle. The flesh side is already very smooth, but I have noticed that over time it can start to come loose. Is there any way to finish these in such a way that the flesh side will remain intact over long periods of time (years even?) 

I have seen Ian Atkinson use Tan-Kote to finish the flesh sides. What does this do? Is this recommended here or are there better methods?

Lastly, should the flesh side finishing be different on tooling/veg-tan leather vs. a finished leather like English Bridle or Traditional harness? 

Thank you so much for your help!

-Dave

I don't know if it is right or wrong, what I have been doing even if there is a smooth finish is to take some gum trag and get that side super smooth then use tan-kote, although I may start to use resolene.  Would like to hear what other do to finish up a belt.

I don't know either if it is the best solution: I am using Fiebing's Aussie conditioner for the flesh side of the leather, buff the excess: it is like a water resistant finish, makes the leather flexible. 

I use the gum trag for the more 'loose' flesh side, and aussie conditioner for the rest.   Works for me.

I've been using Bag-Kote mostly. I bought some Tan-Kote also, but haven't tried it yet. Also, I've gotten a better/more even finish when I spray it on with my airbrush, than wiping it on. I usually spray a light coat, let it sit several seconds then wipe very briefly, just to mat down any loose fibers. I'm quite new to leatherwork so others may have a better method.

A lot of times on the flesh side I rub in saddle soap mixed with some water so it's like a paste. I rub it in with my fingers and then burnish the area with a piece of canvas.

Most of my holsters are lined, but on the backside of a billet of a western gun belt, I coat it with bag-kote and burnish it a little.  Some of the cowboy shooters I compete with have some of my leather from 10 years ago and they are having no problems.