PhilR

Flat bed or Cylinder Arm?

We need to buy a machine to sew heavy leather for English saddles and tack. 

Seems like the consensus here is that a cylinder machine is more versatile but the instructors at the saddlery school are saying that a flat bed machine is more precise and that cylinder machines are not needed.  Can someone who works on English tack help clear this up for us?  We already have a Juki 1541S for blanket and lighter leather work.

I have a Cowboy 4500 and use it without the table attachment more often than with the table attachment.  I do, however, use the table attachment for some things.  The answer is both.  Or maybe the answer is your own personal preference.

I wouldn't give up my cylinder arm.  And I'm super happy about picking up the table top attachment.

Flat bed sewing machines are best for sewing totally flat items. If your saddle components are to be sewn flat, a flat bed gives lots of support to move and turn them without losing balance. However, if any of the parts must be sewn on an upward or downward curve, a cylinder arm is a necessity. Also, if you have to sew directly to the right of a surface the extends below the top layer, a cylinder arm is needed.

There are extra heavy duty flat bed machines that use the same hook and bobbins as our 441 type machines. They allow you to sew with up to #415 thread.

Just keep in mind that a flat bed will always need to sit inside a cutout in a table. A cylinder arm machine sits above the table to let items curve down as you sew, or to let lower levels pass by on the left side (hardware, formed cases, riggins, stirrups, etc.