Here are a few pics of an Adler 105 - not sure of the exact model. It is a compound feed walking foot with a shuttle….

I am looking for a machine capable of low volume, precision stitching on heavy boots, leather bags, belts and harness leather - most work will fall in the range of 3.5 - 10mm. 

I have heard varying reports from those in the industry and on some forums about how thick these machines can sew and would appreciate any testimony from anyone that can identify the model from these images, that has used this model or similar model machines or who would know what its basic capabilities are. Also an approximate year of manufacture.

I am aware the machine needs a couple of parts related to the tension assembly though is otherwise in basically sound  condition.

I work on a range of machines aged from late 1800's to the mid 1950's so am not afraid of the older models…..

Your experiences will be valuable for me to determine if this machine may be suitable.

Thanks and regards, JBY

A close-up of that type plate you're pointing at on the front would be very helpful. Also a close-up of the throat plate and feed dog with raised presser foot and picture of the backside to determine what type of feed mechanism this machine has. It looks like it has top feed (perhaps adjustable to create pucker/stretch for moccasin type work?), it likely also has bottom feed, but the needle plate hole indicates no needle feed.

It looks a lot like the machines described in this brochure: http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Leaflets_Adler/Leaflets_Adler_class_105.pdf

Yours is dated earlier based on the logo and typeface - I'm guessing 30's or 40's. Not exactly sure when they stopped using the "ADLER" and went to "adler", but I have a feeling that "adler" is a post-war change. 

Thanks for this Uwe,

By needle feed - do you mean the needle 'walks' as in a compound feed machine?

I was told this machine is a compound feed walking foot - I will attempt to get hold of some better shots.

I greatly appreciate your input.

Regards,

JBY

People's definition of compound feed varies, to some it just means more than one mode of material transport. When people in the LW forums say compound feed, they generally mean triple feed, or unison feed. It means the material is moved by three methods at the same time:

1. Bottom feed dog

2. Upper presser foot

3. Needle 

However, every possible combination of the three methods exists in some machine.

In your machine's design it looks like the needle does NOT help move the material - it just goes down and up to make the stitch while the material is stationary. Then the material is moved while the needle is up. That's not bad thing, mind you, but most people who sew leather want the triple feed mode of moving multiple layers of material.

Here's a video of how I think your machine works. Of course I may be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, either.

Edited by Uwe

Guessing at, but not thinking too hard about, the age of my 105-27, I thought that it was in pretty decent shape for a 40 year-old machine but if "ADLER", as opposed to "adler", suggests pre-war, then it's in really good condition for an 80 year-old.

During what years were the 105s made? Were they superseded by the 205s or did the two classes coexist for a while?

Thanks,

Gary

Not exactly pre-war, but old nonetheless. According to this DA historical production document from the year 2000,  the 105 class of machines was produced from 1950 through 1980. The 205 series started life in 1979 (and was discontinued in 2014/15). The company changed legal entities from "Kochs Adlernähmaschinen Werke AG" to "Kochs Adler AG" in 1971. I suspect (but haven't seen real proof) that the year 1971 also coincides with the change in logo and script from "ADLER" with eagle logo to plain "adler". So "ADLER" and eagle-logo would indicate pre-1971.

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 1.34.33 AM.png

Edited by Uwe

Thanks Uwe, I knew you would know.

I didn't know, actually, but I'm a tenacious Googler with occasional insomnia. I really thought that the "Kochs Adlernähmaschinen Werke AG" wording on my Chandler 67 machine label was mangled German introduced by some dyslexic contractor who printed the stickers. In my mind the old company name was just poor German no matter how I looked at it. What it actually means is "The factories owned by Koch that make the ADLER branded sewing machines, Inc." What I always thought it meant was "The sewing machine factories founded by Kochs and Adler, Inc." No wonder they eventually changed their name. "Ford's Model-A-Cars Factories, Inc." doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, either.

On Saturday, May 07, 2016 at 7:27 AM, JBY127 said:

Here are a few pics of an Adler 105 - not sure of the exact model. It is a compound feed walking foot with a shuttle….

I am looking for a machine capable of low volume, precision stitching on heavy boots, leather bags, belts and harness leather - most work will fall in the range of 3.5 - 10mm. 

I have heard varying reports from those in the industry and on some forums about how thick these machines can sew and would appreciate any testimony from anyone that can identify the model from these images, that has used this model or similar model machines or who would know what its basic capabilities are. Also an approximate year of manufacture.

I am aware the machine needs a couple of parts related to the tension assembly though is otherwise in basically sound  condition.

I work on a range of machines aged from late 1800's to the mid 1950's so am not afraid of the older models…..

Your experiences will be valuable for me to determine if this machine may be suitable.

Thanks and regards, JBY

HI JBY, it looks to be a 105-25 MO, top feed for moccasins seam (like the machine in UWe´s video). Looks to be modified in to a 105-25, they have added a feed dog and a other needle plate (the needle plate does not look to be Adler, it looks to be Singer or Chinese GA 5 machine, or something like it) It's a ruffler machine, top and bottom feed is adjusted separately (to make special seam on moccasins) . You have to zero the top feed to use revers. It's a special machine for the shoe industry, it's quite common to modify them in to be "regular" leather machines. It will be worth less than an 105-64 needle feed. However, it will work fine for forward stitching. Max material thickness around 1/2 inch. (To change stitch length you must adjust both top an bottom feed sepratly)

Tor 

I have a 205 version of this machine that belongs to a customer and the adjustment on the front allows for differential feed so it is an "MO" machine.

It is a single walking foot only