Noobie

Laser Cutting (please help)

Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I really could do with some help and advice from you lovely lot who had experience with this subject. 

My apologies if this is the wrong sub forum. 

So the problem:

I used a laser cutter to make some belt prototypes on amazing quality veg tanned leather. Everything worked and looks perfect, however the smell left on the actual leather item is something out of this world.... It stinks like burned hair/nail clippings...

I tried washing and wiping a few items in warm water which seemed to help a little bit, but not by much... I also tried to spray and wipe a few items with Fabreeze - didn't help either, if anything it smells like burned hair with a hint of Fabreeze on top.

Is there a way to get rid of this smell? Will it go away on its own after some time or there's no chance to make it smell like before the cutting?

I'm sure there are loads of brands that laser cut their bags, wallets etc. there must be some way of doing it?

Please help :)

Many thanks

Hattie

Edited by Noobie

Only way to get rid of it is to remove the burnt edges by sanding or buffing.   No chemical treatment will work.  

One technique that works well is to dye the leather as desired with alcohol dyes and then to burnish the leather.  The mix of burnt edge and alcohol dyes can result in a beautifully polished edge.  

the smell will fade. it just takes time.

Air movement makes it go away, like being out in the wind.  Putting the parts in front of a fan works.