Yanni

Adler 269-373 missing stitches

Hello,

We have 4 x Adler 269-373s in our factory and one of them skips stitches just one at a time and totally at random.

I have done the timing in all of the other machines so I am quite competent to sort them out but the last one I can't work out what is wrong with it...

The puzzling thing is that it skip stitches on straight lines usually you get missing stitches on curves etc when the leather is stretched and bends.

I've got an EFKA motor on it, hook is brand new, and checked distance between hook and needle is great, I have tried various tensions, for both thread and thread spring, 

alter tension on the bobbin....really puzzled..also machine restricted to 650 max speed. Most of the parts are brand new original Adler too I bought from Germany( spend £1000 on it recently ).

The only thing I can see is the thread flying out a bit more when it misses the stitch and I've got the feeling it does it either when decelerate or accelerate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yanni

First I would check it the needle hight and bobbin case opener, I would assume it has to open a bit earlier. It´s just a guess from her distance.

Edited by Constabulary

Gravitational waves. That machine is clearly a gravitational wave detector that senses when a gravitational wave, generated by a supernova in a distant galaxy, causes a distortion in times-space and deflects the thread loop away from the hook. I see a nobel prize in your future.

Another guess from overhere.

Have you tried other needle types or sizes? Or thread? Maybe it doesn't like your needle/thread combo.

Checkspring like Constabulary mentioned could be something. 

You could play with the timing a tiny bit. I know it's not the way to go, but most of the times I time my machines on feeling. I rarely use the factory settings. BUT (!) I only have old and  sometimes half worn machines.

Good luck! Hope you can finish the puzzle.

Thanks, all the adlers in factory are identical and use the same needle/thread. 

I don't use the factory settings for the timing as I found them slightly incorrect. Again the other 3 are working fine with my settings.

I will try another bobbin tomorrow and see what happens...

I overlooked you have 4 identical machines. Sorry about that.

You could try switching the bobin indeed.

Good luck.

Does the problem child machine always have the same operator?  

The operator of the trouble machine may stop the machine more often than the others. Every time you stop the machine, there's a slight chance of a skipped stitch, depending on exactly when in the stitch cycle you stop the machine (that brief moment right after the needle starts to rise again, when the thread loop is forming but the hook has not yet caught the loop is the worst time to stop the machine in terms of potential skipped stitches). Pull up a chair and observe that operator and machine for a while - you may see a pattern that contributes to the problem. If the machine's Efka motors have needle positioners that stop in the down position, perhaps that machine's programmed down position has a slightly higher chance of a skipped stitch. If they're using huge spools of top thread, the trouble machine's cone of thread may be a little more lumpy/sticky/rough/brittle than the others and occasionally tug at just the wrong time.

Edited by Uwe

I might take a look at the bobbin case height in relation to its clearance in the needle plate, if at minimum I wonder.

Also the thread size is this easily changed smaller for a test for added above check.

a question, even if this is random is this repeated in the same 2' run, jus curious here.

Good day

Floyd

Random skips are usually the hardest to troubleshoot. You need to rule out not having enough foot pressure. When you hit a harder section of leather, it can stick to the needle and push the foot up, not forming a loop and skipping. Your check spring could be too tight as well. If you can rule those things out, retard and advance the hook timing a bit each way. I do repair machines on the side apart from my regular job. Send me a ticket and I'll get it settled down for you. :)

Regards, Eric 

Hi Yanni,

This is my first time on any forum but for what it is worth i think Eric is most correct Spongy spots and hard spots will often cause this problem, but further a new needle will often solve it. The tip can have a very slight twist and deflect sideways away from the hook. Next the hole in the needle plate should not be too enlarged out as this allows the softer leather to go in and hold the thread elastically against the needle and miss the hook. The gap on the foot being too large will create the same problem. Check carefully for any catching on the thread return spring and polish up any bits if needed. Last try lifting the foot by hand upward and if it feels grabby work out why and fix. Silicon spray if you must.

Best of luck Brian

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I called an engineer from the factory next door and sorted it out.

He basically told me if there are skipped stitches check the hook first!

What happened is I had for sometime a lot of play on the feed dog because of a non original spacer next to the feedog.

That was kept of breaking needles for a while due to the play of the feedog and the needle not always hitting the centre of the feedog.

As a result it had also blunted/rounded the tip of the hook. I also found a small piece of broken needle inside the hook and also had to move the hook assembly as close to the needle without touching...all this 0.10mm business is rubbish...you just get it as close to the needle so you no longer see any light behind with the magnifying glass.

Then we sharpened the bottom up and inside tip of the hook( never the outside he said) to make it like a needle point and it now works again like a dream, no more slip stitches...

Thanks again...

A wiggly feed dog will cause problems, no doubt.