Sorry if this has been discussed before in a different section.  I don't seem to be finding a lot of info.  I've been searching for ideas on a DIY drying cabinet.  Would like it to be long enough to handle belts and also roomy for holsters and other projects.  Energy efficient too.  I'm in the Midwest so solar may not work too well at least if the past few months of grey skys are any indication.  :rolleyes2:  I did see a few using incandescent lights, just looking for additional ideas (plastic container vs. wood, use insulation or don't, should have a fan to move air or not necessary, any extra ideas that you tried that worked or ended up not being worth it, etc.) before I move forward with the build.  Pictures would be great if you have them.  Thanks in advance.....

unless you are wet molding something and you want it hard, you don't want to use a lot of heat. You'd be better off using something with a fan to simply move the air around.

I always just use a fan even if wet molding, but I live in South Florida. Lots of heat and humidity here. Molding is done with a food bag vac system

Edited by TacticallySharp

Thanks folks, yes I will be wet forming the holsters.  To give you an idea the last one I just did took about 36 hours to dry.  Inside temp was about 65-68.  I'm not looking to speed dry the leather, just take it up into the 80 - 90 heat range to give it a boost.

I am fortunate to live in Colorado for many reasons, one of them a very arid climate. I just leave my wet molded projects overnight and they are ready for me in the morning.

Based on this experience, if I lived in a very humid climate I would make a drying box and put a smal dehumidifier in it. No heat, just dry air.

Michelle

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-1100-Electric-Petite-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0ZDD2/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1462819040&sr=1-5

Depending on the size of the box, a regular old light bulb will work to dry and circulate the air.

My suggestion wouldn't work for a belt but would for a holster, get a food dehydrator and put the holster in it a for a period of time, and it might work for a belt depending on the size of the dehydrator.

My dehydrator gets too hot. It would curl and maybe even crack the edges of the leather. I wouldn't do it.

Leather needs to dry out slowly. In general, heat is not good for untreated leather.

Michelle