Forester

Cheyenne Holster to fit Colt 1851 Navy

HI All

I made this holster this weekend from Will Ghormley's pattern pack. I am making these to sell so and constructive comments would appreciated.

Regards Forester

DSCF6461.JPG

DSCF6457.JPG

Hi All

Few mistakes in the intro, it should read; I made this holster this weekend, I'm making these to sell so any constructive comments would be appreciated. I am always trying to improve the quality of my leather work.

Regards Forester.

Looks great, only thing I can see that you might want to work on a little more is the burnishing on the toe of the holster.  Looks a little furry in the picture.  Awesome work.

Stu

Is the line drawing that you carved in the pattern pack?

Very nice job, by the way!

Edited by Red Bear Haraldsson

Hi Stu and Red Bear.

Thanks for your comments. I noticed the furry bits on the bottom, that's close up photography for you, will re burnish it. And yes the carving template is in the pattern pack with an alternative carving pattern.

Regards Forester.

It looks like you used a tan harness leather is that correct? if so I also got fuzzy edges in some cases and the bevel knife cuts would cut the tan surface so left un oiled there would be "white" lines at the tooling and cutting like there seems to be on yours in the first pic of the "more pics" posting. Or am I out to lunch?

I like that pattern holster pattern. It and and the carving pattern looks like the famous one from the cover of Packing Iron.

Very nice thanks for showing it off.

Hi Plinkercases.

Yes it is the carving pattern from the front of the book Packing Iron, the pattern is also from Will Ghormley's Cheyenne Holster pattern pack. The leather I used is 9-10oz Double shoulder oakleaf from tandy. It was carved and then oiled with extra virgin olive oil. and I think I need to do some more work on my burnishing, this said I always give the leatherwork I sell a final burnish before I send out to customers, not had a complaint yet. I am learning and getting better with each project, I always seem to mess up on the crease lines on the edges though, not perfect but all hand made and unique, this must count for something.

Regards Forester

Thanks for the info.

I learn something new and old on every project!!! I am always amazed when making a new custom piece that every project goes through stages where I think it is junked and I need to start over but if I keep going the leather seems to lead me to the end of the project and it works out,,, often not exactly as I had envisioned but better in some way. I think that is what working with an organic material is supposed to be like.

Keep up the good learning and sharing thanks.

I know the period holsters had the toe plug sewn in , but I think I'd punch a hole to let anything that falls in can get out. Just my thoughts