Cheers everyone! This thread is for Instagram and how to use it and for giving advice about it but all I see are posts about why Instagram and other social media platforms are useless. I stand by what I said, so if your not going to make a contribution to the topic then stop discouraging others from using it.

Also, I never directly insulted anyone, just expressed my feelings about how you all sound. And it seems like I hit a nerve, well good. I hope I did some small damage to your discouraging point of views.

FYI we do produce leather products, and we are quite established in doing it. Quality isn't top of the line but neither were 1900's split leather swiss satchels, but they still got salvaged from the Titanic in mint condition.

You don't need to take any advice from Gritty, but you could also stop being so pessimistic about this topic.

12 hours ago, GrittyRusticLeather said:

So I guess this ain't the place for cutting edge or having an entrepreneurial spirit or being an innovator of leather, is it? All this "I don't use Instagram or Pinterest because yadda yadday yadda" is just pure lazy self centered talk.

It comes down to two kinds characteristics in the world of business. Those who are remembered because they strived to share their passion and those who are forgotten because they didn't have the courage to take on change or were simply outwitted.

I'll remember Saddleback Leather Co. for sure. Sweet Jesus, you should see their Instagram profile.

You make my point.   Innovator of leather?  What exactly do you, or saddleback, do that makes you an "innovator"?  I've seen teh web site, and their product certainly looks okay on the surface (though I don't endorse it until I've touched it).  

But it's very much a "marketing" business, more than a leather business.  What is it that goes into their product that is so "innovative"?  It looks to me like if the gal on the 4th sewing machine over quits today, they could replace her by Tuesday and continue on.  Translation, what they do-- ANYbody can do.  

Since YOU are clearly the smart one, I won't bother to define "innovative" for you.

I like to see a DIFFERENCE in teh product, not simply the person with the latest camera equipment and the longest speeches.

• JLS Leather
  • Custom Leather Without the Hype.  Really.

Edited by JLSleather

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

You make my point.   Innovator of leather?  What exactly do you, or saddleback, do that makes you an "innovator"?  I've seen teh web site, and their product certainly looks okay on the surface (though I don't endorse it until I've touched it).  

But it's very much a "marketing" business, more than a leather business.  What is it that goes into their product that is so "innovative"?  It looks to me like if the gal on the 4th sewing machine over quits today, they could replace her by Tuesday and continue on.  Translation, what they do-- ANYbody can do.  

Since YOU are clearly the smart one, I won't bother to define "innovative" for you.

I like to see a DIFFERENCE in teh product, not simply the person with the latest camera equipment and the longest speeches.

• JLS Leather

The fact that you think innovation only concerns the physical properties of the product proves that you have no idea what you are talking about. 

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

• JLS Leather

I was hoping you could read between the lines there and get the message but nope, so I guess ill just spell it out for you.

Companies like Saddleback utilize many marketing avenues like Instagram to increase their brand exposure and turn a profit and because of this they are well known and a house hold name. Hell I'm sure you got friends or family somewhere who own some saddleback leather goods.

But I'm sure your quality is as good if not better, just your strategy for marketing isn't a clever one. You should know, the smarter smart phones get the less people walk into stores to buy these luxuries. That's the foreseeable future my friend.

To be honest, your here ranting on as if there is a difference between this thread and Instagram. Why not take all that big talk and pour it into Instagram and make some money for your hard work, or build your brand awareness out of the local community. Cause there ain't no difference between posting in this thread and posting an image on instagram. Everytime you post in here and put down the use of Instagram it's just a big fat contradiction, hypocrisy.

Edited by GrittyRusticLeather
Re-word-it

Silly me.  I thought this site was about leather.  

I probably do know people with those throw-together "name brand" items.  I have a niece who is pretty much TERRIFIED of being found wtihout something the other girls have. :)

But if instagram, or fakebook, or tweetybird, etc.. is all that necessary and wonderful.. I do have to wonder WHY then such talented and socially gifted (is that a thing?) people would be here wasting their time on silly old me. :rofl:

I dont' date guys.  So those who do, it would make sense to go where there are guys who date guys, much more than trying to convince little ole me ;)

Just one example, really, ... I mean, WHY were you "hoping" I could "get the message"?  WHY would that be important to you?  In fact, if I did that, and got good at it, wouldnt' that then increase your competition?  Not that either makes any difference to me... just food for thought (as in THINK, not just copy the next guy who also didn't think).

Edited by JLSleather

On May 10, 2016 at 10:13 PM, GrittyRusticLeather said:

If you are looking to increase your company exposure, increase local traffic to your leather shop, traffic to a link, promoting a product or even promote your start-up company or blog. Then I would recommend the almighty little Instagram. Instagram is a mobile phone app that allows you to take pictures of things and share them with the Instagram community which is massive and still growing. 

Currently Instagram has over taken Facebook as the biggest platform for building a fan-base and driving traffic to websites. It costs nothing and is the biggest trend for companies and individual people wanting to promote. All you need is the know-how. If you have never used Instagram before or have and need some tips then here are some steps I have prepared that I think make a successful Instagram post.

1. Download to your phone and create an Instagram account. Filling in all the account details like, website, name, email and so on. Use a good business name user I.D. You want to come off as a business or someone with a brand or leather shop.

2. Post an image. The image should not be a graphic designed image but an interesting photograph of something related to your field of business or an image of the actual product itself or just about anything that seems to do the trick.

3. While posting the image you will be promoted with adding a filter that changes the attitude of the image by giving it a splash of vintage or monotone colors. I prefer to use nothing at all when posting product images, just because I want viewers and followers to see the actual product I am showing. However If I am posting an image of a scene that is not directly related to the importance of showing the product then I will use a filter to enhance the scenery.

4. In the text area for the image posting you want to be a bit radical in a positive way or make a strong point about the image or be humorous. Instead of saying something common like "Genuine leather backpack" in all of your posts, you should mix it up and say something like "The first and last bag you will ever need", “20 years and counting, almost like it was never used”.

5. Followed by the text you want to write your website web-link of importance. Example: www.leatherworker.net

6. After you have written the text you want to begin adding hashtags. Instagram allows up to 30 hashtags. Hashtags make you discover-able through Instagram's search function and some other unknown functions. Your first hashtag after the text and web-link should be your company or products unique name hashtag. 

Example: #leatherworker. Yes, use your company name to make a hashtag.

7. After your company hashtag, you want to add 29 more. These 29 more hashtags should be related to your product and its scope of business. I usually add 14 hashtags directly related to the product itself and 15 hashtags related to the industry. As you input hashtags into your Instagram postings you will be given random lists of different hashtags showing the amount of users who have used these hashtags in the past . This is important because the more people using your choice of hashtags basically means the more exposure you will get from using that hashtag. 

Example: 14 hashtags related to the product itself would be #backpack #briefcase #bag #messengerbag #satchel #laptopbag etc...and then 15 hashtags related to the industry #menswear #mensfashion #mensstyle #businesscasual #travel #hiking #business #mensaccessories #leathergoods #leatherwork etc...

Here is an example posting from my Instagram account. At the bottom it shows the amount of people who have liked the posting. It doesn't show the amount of followers you obtained from the posting, but once people follow you they will see everything you post in their home feed and in search as well. Example Instagram Post

This is my personal way of posting on Instagram and it has played a decent role in giving my company and product extra exposure. I hope this post was very helpful to you. If you have any question about this feel free to reply.

Is Instagram not working out for you? Looks like no posts since May. Also less than 50 likes from 8k followers looks like the investment in buying followers wasn't worth it. 

Ooo.. ouch.  See, I woulda never known that, since I aint never instagrammed (or, however ya say that).  

2 hours ago, treyman said:

Is Instagram not working out for you? Looks like no posts since May. Also less than 50 likes from 8k followers looks like the investment in buying followers wasn't worth it. 

Just proof that you need to stay active to be relevant. If you aren't actively advertising your product.. you dont exist on "trending" social media platforms. Make it a point to post every few days. If you are busy in the shop... there is no reason why you cant have fresh pics. His/hers 8800 followers that were bought got as many likes as my last few posts (vs 575 followers). You need to have a good product... a good photograph... and a slowly built, dedicated following. 

It's just another means of advertising.. just FREE with very little effort. 

https://www.instagram.com/ridgewayleather/

Edited by JerseyFirefighter

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Ooo.. ouch.  See, I woulda never known that, since I aint never instagrammed (or, however ya say that).  

5 hours ago, treyman said:

We have two accounts, a guerrilla marketing account that our marketing debt. used to use, and then our basic account https://www.instagram.com/grittyrusticleather/ enjoy the feed. 

10 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Silly me.  I thought this site was about leather.  

I probably do know people with those throw-together "name brand" items.  I have a niece who is pretty much TERRIFIED of being found wtihout something the other girls have. :)

But if instagram, or fakebook, or tweetybird, etc.. is all that necessary and wonderful.. I do have to wonder WHY then such talented and socially gifted (is that a thing?) people would be here wasting their time on silly old me. :rofl:

I dont' date guys.  So those who do, it would make sense to go where there are guys who date guys, much more than trying to convince little ole me ;)

Just one example, really, ... I mean, WHY were you "hoping" I could "get the message"?  WHY would that be important to you?  In fact, if I did that, and got good at it, wouldnt' that then increase your competition?  Not that either makes any difference to me... just food for thought (as in THINK, not just copy the next guy who also didn't think).

Still missing the heart of this entire thread, damn glad it's just a couple of you that are bitter about your situations. Cause I am not just making good quality leather goods, I am also placing these works in the possession or many people all around the globe and building up brand awareness. If your interested to know, we invested in a simple Canon camera and spend time taking glorious imagery outdoors and in coffee shops with some few hired models. Our work doesn't just end after we have crafted a nice bag, we then take it to another required professional level to get it seen by the right people, that's where Instagram comes in.

But I think I'm starting to understand you more, you just can't comprehend the whole marketing thing can you. That's ok because I completely understand, I have friends that are similar to you and they are satisfied with life, flipping burgers or whatever. It's no wonder you can't get the message.

I was trying to be helpful, but since you think your a waste of time then I guess your right. No point in :deadsubject: 

But I know one thing, anyone truly passionate about what they do wants nothing more than to share it with others.

22 minutes ago, GrittyRusticLeather said:

We have two accounts, a guerrilla marketing account that our marketing debt. used to use, and then our basic account https://www.instagram.com/grittyrusticleather/ enjoy the feed. 

Still missing the heart of this entire thread, damn glad it's just a couple of you that are bitter about your situations. Cause I am not just making good quality leather goods, I am also placing these works in the possession or many people all around the globe and building up brand awareness. If your interested to know, we invested in a simple Canon camera and spend time taking glorious imagery outdoors and in coffee shops with some few hired models. Our work doesn't just end after we have crafted a nice bag, we then take it to another required professional level to get it seen by the right people, that's where Instagram comes in.

But I think I'm starting to understand you more, you just can't comprehend the whole marketing thing can you. That's ok because I completely understand, I have friends that are similar to you and they are satisfied with life, flipping burgers or whatever. It's no wonder you can't get the message.

I was trying to be helpful, but since you think your a waste of time then I guess your right. No point in :deadsubject: 

But I know one thing, anyone truly passionate about what they do wants nothing more than to share it with others.

People may have taken your post a little more seriously if you actually used a successful example. But when you use an account with a bunch of fake followers, what do you expect. 

Should of just posted go to this site whatever one you went and buy 7500 followers, since that is the example you so proudly used. 

I know social media has a huge impact on marketing, but doesn't do a damn thing with 8000 bots following you

getting your product seen by fake followers is a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, GrittyRusticLeather said:

No point in :deadsubject:

You are correct...  :whistle:

I mean, translate:  

"Quality isn't top of the line" but we " spend time taking glorious imagery outdoors and in coffee shops with some few hired model".  Other words, "instead of improving the product, we spend our time trying to convince you to buy it as is".

Which - you may or may not have noticed - is exactly what I said two weeks ago.

• That whole "social" thing is just ONE of the many things wrong with hand made crafts these days.  Some people could stand to spend a bit less time "marketing" (we used to call it @$$-kissing) and spend that time IMPROVING their skills (or acquiring some).

Try not to take it as just rudeness, but this gains nothing so I won't be adding to it.  Not my site, so not up to me - so I guess you can continue if you like.  Consider, though, that this site does come up fairly well in search engines, and statements like " Quality isn't top of the line ..." , interests like "interested in: learning about leather work", and your apparent anger probably aren't broadening your customer base.:dunno:

2 hours ago, treyman said:

People may have taken your post a little more seriously if you actually used a successful example. But when you use an account with a bunch of fake followers, what do you expect. 

Should of just posted go to this site whatever one you went and buy 7500 followers, since that is the example you so proudly used. 

I know social media has a huge impact on marketing, but doesn't do a damn thing with 8000 bots following you

getting your product seen by fake followers is a waste of time. 

That's a very uneducated thing to say, and most of which is laughable. Again your missing the the subject of the entire thread.

The Instagram post that I used to explain "how to post something on Instagram" was a successful one. It had a fair picture of interest, an opening sentence about the picture and some hash tags to really bring in people interested in the post. It did everything that my tutorial explained to do. 

And keep in mind there buddy, It was I who had the motive to help out and give some simple tutorial about how to possibly get your products in front of a larger crowd by using Instagram.

"People might take me more more seriously if we hadn't payed for followers........" Anyone can pay for followers if they want, anyone can buy anything they want. And you think your single individual opinion or "judgement" carries some serious value, that's lame man no one cares what you say. No one needs to take me serious either cause the world already knows about Instagram. Now you know where to go when you need a simple easy to find tutorial :yeah:

Come to truth, I looked at all of your posts and it doesn't seem like you have even come close to stepping in the light and sharing how to really do something, better gets to typing.

Why don't you go and donate some money to the healthy minded people who maintain this thread. Maybe you can open an Instagram account and make some extra sales to cover the cost while your at it. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Thanks for posting about Instagram, I have to say though, I personally find social media 'likes' driven advertising a bit 'needy' for my liking.   I have a facebook account somewhere, a pintrest a count, and a twitter account which is constantly being hacked.   And they all nag at me to 'like' things, and 'share' updates to get 'likes'.

It all works well for some folk, but it's not the only bar in town, and my world isn't going to end if I don't get involved.    

And sorry for poking my nose in, but if you stick around, you'll find that JLSleather contributes to this forum in many more ways than sticking his hand in his pocket.

Peace and love to all sentient beings.  And for the rest of you, just keep banging those rocks together.

5 hours ago, GrittyRusticLeather said:

That's a very uneducated thing to say, and most of which is laughable. Again your missing the the subject of the entire thread.

The Instagram post that I used to explain "how to post something on Instagram" was a successful one. It had a fair picture of interest, an opening sentence about the picture and some hash tags to really bring in people interested in the post. It did everything that my tutorial explained to do. 

And keep in mind there buddy, It was I who had the motive to help out and give some simple tutorial about how to possibly get your products in front of a larger crowd by using Instagram.

"People might take me more more seriously if we hadn't payed for followers........" Anyone can pay for followers if they want, anyone can buy anything they want. And you think your single individual opinion or "judgement" carries some serious value, that's lame man no one cares what you say. No one needs to take me serious either cause the world already knows about Instagram. Now you know where to go when you need a simple easy to find tutorial :yeah:

Come to truth, I looked at all of your posts and it doesn't seem like you have even come close to stepping in the light and sharing how to really do something, better gets to typing.

Why don't you go and donate some money to the healthy minded people who maintain this thread. Maybe you can open an Instagram account and make some extra sales to cover the cost while your at it. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

I don't come here to spam my site. also when you hire models, iyiu might want to use their face. Also on your site put on the front page we make and ship all our quality leather goods from mainland China and Hong Kong. I am sure that little tip will put you over the top. No need to hide that info on the back pages. Everybody knows the best leather comes from China. 

Next time be a little smarter. Spam your crap to people that are looking to buy your type of crap and not people that are looking to make their own. 

Last thing can you give us a tutorial on the camera, I mean you bought a 7d mark ii you have to be the expert there too. Should we use "L" glass or is it overrated,  what is f stop. How about studio lighting, you have the connections to get better deal on cowboy studio lighting (no relation to cowboy sewing) for less than 150, elinchrom is just overpriced.  Looking forward to your photography spam, sorry I mean tutorial. 

A couple drove several miles down a country road, not saying a word.

An earlier discussion had led to an argument, and neither wanted to concede their position.

As they passed a barnyard of mules and pigs, the wife sarcastically asked, “relatives of yours?”

“Yep,” the husband replied, “In-laws.”