What type of leather is generally used on English stirrup leathers?  A customer has a track workout saddle that she wants the leather replaced on.....wants 3/4" thin and supple leathers.  I'm a little worried about stretching/durability.  She's not real heavy, but she does use this as her everyday trail riding saddle since retiring from track exercising.  Saddle is around 30 years old, handmade and one of a kind ( has western style carving and leather and silver lacing...unique to a "racing saddle") so I want to do it right.  Any suggestions on the leather?  Harness, Bridle, ?????

Also looking for a source for 1/8 - 1/4" thick memory foam rolls.  Sheridan Leather was my source, but they are liquidating and I need another supplier.

Thanks,

Rick

Top quality English stirrup leathers are cut from leather that I believe is called "Stirrup Butts".  I'm not aware of anywhere in the US that carries this leather. When Seigels of California was in business, they carried some Sedgwicks leather, but I don't know of anyone now. Sorry that's not much help.  Maybe there is a shop that does a lot of English work that imports some of what you need and would be willing to cut you a pair.

AFTER I wrote the above response I thought maybe I should actually check to see if anyone in the US handles Sedgwicks leathers. It seems that Booth and Co in Essex, MA has some. It's worth inquiring. Has anyone here ever dealt with them?

Sioux,

Thanks for the info....I'd forgotten about Booth & Co.  Years ago, I ordered some stuff from them and they were very helpful.  Gave them a call this morning and they fixed me up on the stirrup leathers and some billets.  Pretty reasonable pricing too.

Thanks again,

Rick