I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents on a set of chisels/pricking irons I picked up off of Amazon recently. I usually post to Reddit/r/leathercraft, but figured someone over here might be interested. I had not heard of this brand before (Wuta Leather), and knew that they were based out of China, based on shipping info/wait time. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a decent set of European-style irons, so I figured if these were bunk, I wasn't out a whole lot of cash. 

You can find them on Amazon in two sizing options; I got the 3.38mm as I usually make wallets and handbags. I was asked how they performed, so here's the review:

Wuta also has a store on Ebay, but if you order there, they have different irons available and have a "W" on them. These do not. Even though the irons do not have the "W" stamp, they appear to come from the official Wuta factory. So did the thread I ordered.

gdYKeOS.jpg

They are nicely polished, sharp, and made of quality stainless steel (site says "white steel"). Only downside is that they are quite small, about 4" in length.

xYaGE3f.jpg

They are quite sharp - this is with one punch of the mallet through 5-7oz veg tan:

YYaN1sP.jpg

I've punched them through 3-4oz veg and 5-7oz veg and stitched with .45mm, .8mm (sorry that it's yellow and a bit hard to see), and 1mm threads. I would not recommend using 1mm thread, as it was difficult to pull through. I usually use .8mm thread in whatever I'm making and this was the ideal thickness to get the regular, clean stitch pattern that I like with the European-style chisels.

COeaQLS.jpg

So, that's it! I haven't owned any Blanchards or Dixons, so I can't compare them to much, but I'm happy with the purchase, and for the price compare to those brands, I'm really happy.

Thanks for the review!

I own a set of those chisels and they work good especially for the price.

I do find that since the teeth are not polished they have a tendency to grab the leather.

I am always looking for better tools and found a nice set at a decent price that are highlighly polished teeth and work real great.

The company is goodnleather out of Korea.  He has several different sets and two styles.

Thanks again for sharing!

Phill

On 5/24/2016 at 3:03 PM, 24VOLTS said:

Thanks for the review!

I do find that since the teeth are not polished they have a tendency to grab the leather.

I am always looking for better tools and found a nice set at a decent price that are highlighly polished teeth and work real great.

The company is goodnleather out of Korea.  He has several different sets and two styles.

Phill

Nice! I'll check out Goodnleather. The main problem that I have with the Wuta's is their size - they're a bit difficult to hang onto!

I just ordered some of their wallet templates and they look pretty good. I will do a review after my first build.

9 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I just ordered some of their wallet templates and they look pretty good. I will do a review after my first build.

Please do! I was impressed with the amount of templates they had available. I wish they had a better variety of thread available to purchase singularly, instead of by lot.

On 6/19/2016 at 6:26 PM, asamimasa said:

Just put in my order for the 3.38 set, looking forward to them!

Sweet! I haven't gone back to my diamond chisels yet...but I also haven't had any clients want anything bigger than wallets haha. I figure I'll bring out the diamond chisels for the next handbag, as the 3.38's are just so fine and it would take forever.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:03 PM, 24VOLTS said:

Thanks for the review!

Phill

Hello there,

May I ask where do you buy GoodNLeather tools? I tried Etsy but they aren't on there, and their website is in Korean. Thanks!

On 6/2/2016 at 9:08 AM, ElMalOjo said:

Please do! I was impressed with the amount of templates they had available. I wish they had a better variety of thread available to purchase singularly, instead of by lot.

I did do a little review build. Templates are pretty great (a few burrs here and there to clean up). You can cut against them and shipping was in the lightspeed category.

Bikermutt07,

I too would like to see how you like Wuta's wallet pattern.  I bought his makeup bag and intend on giving it a try.

Tzleather,

I have been trying for some time to do business with Good n Leather.  Unfortunately the language barrier has prohibited any future purchases.  I would really like to buy from them but just is not working out.

My search has led me to Kevin Lee at Crazy cut tools.  He is on Facebook and other social media's. https://www.facebook.com/Crazy-Cut-Leather-Tools-1342126289212493/  He is out of China and making some fantastic stitching chisels.  Not only are they beautiful but works like a dream. He is making several chisels and knives.  I have purchased his signature chisels.

I have used a lot of stitching chisel and pricking irons.  These are now my favorite.  They penetrate the leather with no effort.  They are so smooth that they pull out flawlessly.  The teeth are mirror polished.

I have now purchased 3 sets from him and they all look absolutely great!.  It is something for anyone looking for a fabulous stitching chisel to take a look at.

Something to look at for those looking at alternative chisels.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Phill

1 hour ago, 24VOLTS said:

Bikermutt07,

I too would like to see how you like Wuta's wallet pattern.  I bought his makeup bag and intend on giving it a try.

Tzleather,

I have been trying for some time to do business with Good n Leather.  Unfortunately the language barrier has prohibited any future purchases.  I would really like to buy from them but just is not working out.

My search has led me to Kevin Lee at Crazy cut tools.  He is on Facebook and other social media's. https://www.facebook.com/Crazy-Cut-Leather-Tools-1342126289212493/  He is out of China and making some fantastic stitching chisels.  Not only are they beautiful but works like a dream. He is making several chisels and knives.  I have purchased his signature chisels.

I have used a lot of stitching chisel and pricking irons.  These are now my favorite.  They penetrate the leather with no effort.  They are so smooth that they pull out flawlessly.  The teeth are mirror polished.

I have now purchased 3 sets from him and they all look absolutely great!.  It is something for anyone looking for a fabulous stitching chisel to take a look at.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Phill

Sorry, I thought this thread was about Black River Laser. The Wuta templates are really good too. Although, some of wutas designs merit a little instruction.

Both companies have great templates. I think I have 4 from wuta and about ten from Brl.

Brl was fast and easy with free shipping.

Wuta takes a little time to cross the world. But they have free shipping in their price. I will always do some business with Wuta. He takes pretty good care of me.

16 hours ago, 24VOLTS said:

Bikermutt07,

Tzleather,

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Phill

Those from Crazy Cut look very nice. First time I've seen them. Thanks for posting.