jrny4wrd

Wicket and craig

I am sure there are many factors in how long it takes to get an order. On average, if they said its in stock but just needs to be split, how long does it normally take to ship from wicket and craig. I usually get leather shippedbin a few days from other places so I want to be sure Im not being un fair. Its been a week so far. 

I am 800 miles from Panhandle leather and I get orders from them in 3 days all the time.  They ship UPS.   Weaver takes 5 or 6 Business days  FedEx.  The Hide house takes a week to 10 days but they are in California and it is a long ways from South Dakota.   HTH   Ken

I've had sides come in a week and others 2 or 3 weeks...give them a call and ask how long it will be before they ship your order.  

I'm sure they are getting a lot of orders this time of year, because they will be shutting down in July for their regular yearly maintenance. 

Also, be aware that when you are getting your hides split,  that is more labor intensive and you were probably but in line with a bunch of other people that are having the same thing done.

With all that said..give them a call  or email them and ask.

My last order from W & C was 15 sides. They had everything in stock at the time of my order and I told them to hold it a week because I was going to be gone the following week.  I told them a date to ship and the leather almost beat me home. While I have had to wait up to a couple months for leather from them, mostly it depends on whether they have a particular leather in stock or on toggle at the time of your order. And remember that they are a tannery; In my experience, there is usually a longer wait-time from a manufacturer than from a dealer/distributor/supplier.

Having them split it usually adds right around a week, as there is a line of orders waiting for a turn at the splitter.  Most of my orders that get split ship in 7 to 9 days from calling, though it has taken longer on occasion.

Paul

this has been a while, but not a few years old.  I was beginning to wonder if I made the right decision in ordering from W & C, and after hearing all the high praise for their leather I went ahead and pulled the trigger (pun intended) on some 8/9 oz leather natural carving for some holsters (5) that I need to make.  But it is now going on 2 weeks so did the search here and found out what other have experienced in the wait times, so I guess I shouldn't be to peesed off yet, but I was wondering if I should cancel and order from Weaver but I guess I will hold on a while longer as long as the customer isn't screaming yet, and I have kept them up to date on the wait.  

I would call them and inquire on the status of the order. What did they tell you when you ordered? Two weeks wait time just isn't that long when ordering from a tannery.

From the reading of post several years on some 2 weeks would be a base time to start the count.

That's just my reading, and honestly it stuck in my mind plan way ahead with them, again honestly just my plan.

They do seem to have a great product from the reads fwiw

Floyd

How in the world is someone on the forum going to know the status of an order unless they work in the sales department of wickett and craig? 

Ordering from a tannery is a little different then retail stores. W&C has always given me a time frame when asked of how long it would take and it always showed up roughly in that window. I inquired at horween a while back about ordering some leather and they had varying lead times as well from a couple weeks to 4-6 weeks depending on the leather ordered. I dont know how HO  is about there time frames. 

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

some 8/9 oz leather natural carving for some holsters (5) that I need to make.  But it is now going on 2 weeks ...wondering if I should cancel and order from Weaver but I guess I will hold on a while longer as long as the customer isn't screaming yet, and I have kept them up to date on the wait.  

Personally, I would not cancel a W/C order to get a weaver order.  Ever. Regardless of the wait.

Well I did call a couple of times, the first call was that particular leather wasn't on hand and needed to be run and would be about a week.  So then I call back today and sorry to say I got a little bit of run around at first the gal said she would check and get back to me, well I am sort of an impatient kinda guy when I tell someone I would get back to them I mean that to be in a few hours, well after a few hours after not hearing anything I call back, then I am told she cant find out till tomorrow cuz everyone left at 2:00 and being that last Friday and Monday was inventory she want sure.  So then she tells me that she should have an answer tomorrow. 

Just read yours Jeff, and as I mentioned I let the customer know what is going on and so far he is cool with it so I will hold off and see what tomorrow brings.  Hopefully I will have something in the next run of stuff and not have to order H/O I am really wanting to try the W/C, but if they don't come through ya got any you can part with? :) gotta run to the store for my nightly dose of Ice Cream! :)

Uhoh sounds like they got some of the springfield staff working there :o

Hopefully they take care of ya. I am not sure which leather I like better HO or WC. I will say WC is easier to get quality leather if you order from the tannery. Finding HO good sides from the retail side is difficult and expensive. Plus buying 2 sides from WC you probably save $50-60 (or more) over what others charge for it. 

On 11/1/2016 at 8:19 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

Just read yours Jeff, ...if they don't come through ya got any you can part with? :) 

Just saw this.  All I got 'round here from W/C is some drum dyed black and drum dyed chestnut.. both in about 7.5-8 0z.  At teh moment, I'm scrambin' for boxes... ran out of the big ones for sides, and apparently can't buy them within 50 miles!

Not a problem I hope that they will tell me tomorrow that is will be on its way!

I think there is an element -- anywhere you go -- of a desire to sell more.  If it's VERY difficult to purchase and keep stocked, people would shop somewhere else.  But if it's a BIT difficult, people may buy MORE to avoid running out short term.  Translation:  there may be a marketing aspect to the delay ... (the reverse approach would be what you might find some retail outlets, "yes, we have it in stock and will ship it today -- for about 40% markup")

Well I finally got my wicket and Craig leather is and so far it has been a dream to work with, I have 5 holsters on order and cut out the 1st three and it cuts like a dream.  1 of the first is to be all black and I hate working with black due to all the extra rubbing and buffing needed to be done to prevent rub off later, so this one I Laid down to dark brown 1st then went back with the black and it took it real well.  As for other aspects of the leather it all looks to be real clean and real smooth no fuzzy leather anywhere should be dream to edge and burnish and finish, But I am still going to take a ride up to visit ADL leather as there only about 90 minutes from me so that in the event it will be weeks from W & C I might be able to get something real nice from ADL.