A birthday present for a daughter. I'm still not selling my stuff although selling would flatter the hobbyist.

I made the usual first time mistakes but all in all I'm pleased witth the outcome. The bag is fully lined and has three zipped compartments. I didn't trust the lacing alone and also sewed along the double loop stitch.

The shoulder strap I took from a store-bought bag. Cutting a narrow strip from the motorcycle leather I used proved impossible without having a rotating knife available.

Critique and hints most welcome.

messenger bag 02.jpg

messenger bag 03.jpg

messenger bag.jpg

I really like that and the double loop stitch lace would have held fine really like the look of this.

What a beautiful bag. I'm currently working on my first tote (biggest project yet) for my wife, the art teacher.

Looks really great, I'm sure your daughter will cherish it.

Thank you both for the kind words! Glad you liked the bag!

Windrider, you are probably right: Lacing and sewing is like belt and suspenders. But then...dry splycing and lose ends of half an inch of lace tucked under the loops...so not working for a customer and not being obliged to compare expenditure and profit I did the belt and suspenders thing for the peace of my mind. I'll have to reconsider that for future projects (my wife's colleagues have shown interest in a simple handbag that I've made for her a while ago).

Bikermutt, I handed the bag over yesterday and I think my daughter really liked it. Now I can fall back on the Tandy messenger bag kit that I'd planned to process originally. Making a tote for your wife and her being an art teacher won't be an easy task I guess. My wife prevented me from using the shoulder strap that I'd made for a previous project on which to use it she'd already prevented me with her objections based on aesthetic reasoning...and she is not an arts expert...

My wife is pretty easy going and stoked that I'm actually expressing myself in some form of art. It's coming along well and I'm almost down to the assembly.

Motivating, encouraging...your wife must be an excellent teacher!

Be sure to post pics of the finished tote!

She's the best. She gets up at 4 every day for work.

this is a really good looking bag :) 
i'm impressed, and i'm sure if you put something like this up for sale, it would definitely be sold.. hmmmm, maybe in a matter of 2 weeks, depending on the price

good work!

Thank you for the nice comment, Adam!

Really nice

Thank you, Buttons!

Great job on the bag. I am working on bag #8 right now. Had to finally take the plunge and teach myself. I LOVE it! Keep up the great work =)

I like your bag so much and it is a kind present for your daughter, congratulations!

You did a great job!

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

So I'll keep at it and  won't give away my tools as promised after looking at some excellent work posted here on LWnet ... All that stuff was simply too expensive ;). To tell the truth, I'm rather proud of this bag.

Next time I'll avoid some minor mistakes I made. For example the zippers. They don't all open from the same side because I didn't take into consideration that two pockets would face each other and the flap pocket would be turned upside down. Or that part of the flap that's lined with black leather which I glued in flush with the natural leather. This method required two stitch lines and does not prevent some gaping when the fla is turned over. Next time I'd fold over the natural leather and sew the fold onto the black lining.

Very talented work for sure. Great job!

On 5/16/2016 at 4:23 AM, LederRudi said:

Thank you both for the kind words! Glad you liked the bag!

Windrider, you are probably right: Lacing and sewing is like belt and suspenders. But then...dry splycing and lose ends of half an inch of lace tucked under the loops...so not working for a customer and not being obliged to compare expenditure and profit I did the belt and suspenders thing for the peace of my mind. I'll have to reconsider that for future projects (my wife's colleagues have shown interest in a simple handbag that I've made for her a while ago).

Bikermutt, I handed the bag over yesterday and I think my daughter really liked it. Now I can fall back on the Tandy messenger bag kit that I'd planned to process originally. Making a tote for your wife and her being an art teacher won't be an easy task I guess. My wife prevented me from using the shoulder strap that I'd made for a previous project on which to use it she'd already prevented me with her objections based on aesthetic reasoning...and she is not an arts expert...

My wife also vetoed the style strap I was putting on a bag. Belt style one. So now my 9 yr old daughter is stamping and sewing it for herself.