horselady21

Singer 31-15 bobbin problem, part 2!

Hi, again! After my needle broke last week and then I broke off a piece of the bobbin "hook" (the revolving part that actually holds the bobbin itself), I ordered a new bobbin hook, installed it in the race, and now it has a major sticking problem. The machine spins freely until the new bobbin assembly is installed. Then it is hard to turn. I checked for problems in the race and can't see anything, and it spins freely in my hand but once installed, no go.

I ordered a new race assembly but it seems strange that any damage could have been done to such a sturdy part. Any suggestions?

And are there any repair shops near Pittsburgh that anyone knows about?

Thanks!

Just curious,

Is this an original Simanco - Singer part? Asking this because I have found that after-market parts can fit very differently.

At least that was my experience when replacing that part on the same machine. Just a thought.

No, I think it is aftermarket...and I wondered the same thing. Hopefully it will fit the new case better. If not, it may be time to just buy a good used machine from Toledo!

If you decide to get a new machine and part out or sell your old one I could use a couple of screws for mine. Sorry dont have any input on how to fix the issues. 

The hook is made by several companies.

The Japanese are the absolute best but there is also an Italian manufacturer. I get some from Taiwan and they have never been a problem.

It sounds like the shaft that the bobbin case sits on is out of alignment and it is most likely a one-off problem so ask for a replacement

Horselady,

What I remember doing with my race assembly (bought an entire new one) was taking some of the parts off the new assembly and putting them together with some other parts that were original and still worked. That was my solution.

As far as the Italian maker that the Darren mentioned... Darren, would that be CERLIANI?? If so, agree with you. I have another machine (not a Singer) that has a CERLIANI bobbin in it and I think it's top quality. Will buy more of those!

Horselady, don't give up, try whatever you can. You can probably get that machine running smoothly again. Thought you might need a little encouragement to get to the finish line. :)

Thanks, Suzelle! Would you believe, I am actually a formally trained auto mechanic, can take a car apart and put it back together, and this little thing just stumps me sometimes?!

I am going to try the new case when it comes next week, and if it still sticks (and if I haven't bought something else yet! So tempted!), I will order a better quality one.

The one I bought on ebay said they had sold 12 others so I figured they must be ok. We will see!

Thanks for the encouragement! Frustrating when I have so many projects waiting in the wings, and had disassembled the treadle. But I got that almost back together so will play with that while waiting!

You can call Ralph's sewing machine company and ask for help or any of the other repair companies you can find. Sorry I don't have Ralph's number, am at the library. You can find them on the net. I have 2 31-15s  nice machines.

I have a 31-15 that gave me kanipshins for a while, jamming the bobbin case as the shuttle turned. I tamed the shrew by a combination of trying different bobbin cases (they vary), backing off the spring pressure screw on the large C shaped spring on the back of the shuttle race (gives more or less clearance for the case and thread) and bending the shuttle driver outward very slightly (more slack = less binding, but slightly iffy timing).

I received the new case assembly last night and installed it, and no change...it still sticks with the new hook installed. I reinstalled the old broken hook (as well as I could) and with it, everything spins freely, so I think Suzelle was right...poorly made part. So I found a good used original hook that I bought and will try that.

I really hate to call and ask for free help from anyone! Barring anything else, I will drive it over to Toledo! Or just buy a good used one.

I came across a post on another site about the exact same situation on the exact same machine though, so I think I am on the right track, and have hope!

4 hours ago, horselady21 said:

I received the new case assembly last night and installed it, and no change...it still sticks with the new hook installed. I reinstalled the old broken hook (as well as I could) and with it, everything spins freely, so I think Suzelle was right...poorly made part. So I found a good used original hook that I bought and will try that.

I really hate to call and ask for free help from anyone! Barring anything else, I will drive it over to Toledo! Or just buy a good used one.

I came across a post on another site about the exact same situation on the exact same machine though, so I think I am on the right track, and have hope!

Sometimes it is better to cut your losses on a particular troublesome sewing machine and buy something that is known to be in good working condition. Otherwise, you will end up investing as much in trial and error parts as the cost of the machine head itself.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Sometimes it is better to cut your losses on a particular troublesome sewing machine and buy something that is known to be in good working condition. Otherwise, you will end up investing as much in trial and error parts as the cost of the machine head itself.

I agree! I am going to try this last thing: I am going to go over the sticking one with my dremel and a polishing attachment tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Possibly a burr on the outside of it?

I saw an ad for a place selling a new portable Consew CP206R walking foot machine for $499, free shipping, warranty...must say, it's tempting. Do you have an opinion on this type of machine? I am usually a fan of older, used good quality stuff, whether cars or anything else, but as I get older, I seem to be less likely to want to fix and repair, and more wanting to just do what it is I bought the thing for!

To find where it is sticking / rubbing..try putting a very thin coating of nail varnish ( thin with acetone ) or better still, if you have what I know as "engineer's blue" over the surfaces of the case assembly than is in contact with your machine..let it dry..place it in the machine , turn it once or twice by hand..where the varnish / blue is rubbed off..is where it is sticking..and that is where you ( very very carefully use your dremel and a set of polishing felt tips..with a fine cutting paste or jeweller's rouge..) ..might take a few polishes..a few careful polishes and trials is better than one big one which might be too much and remove too much metal..valve grinding paste is too coarse..but diamond paste or jeweller's or polishers paste will do..paint and paste works for a lot of things ;)

wetting your finger tip and running it around the surfaces might also give you an idea where it is uneven..a burr you'll find by running a piece of silk over the surfaces, it will snag on the burr..so will a microfibre cloth..the link that you use for cleaning spectacles or eyeglasses.

Edited by mikesc

Excellent advice , mikesc! I think the dremel kit has a red rouge in it. I have Prussian blue at work for bearings but may be overkill for this. I will be gentle though!

If all else fails take a large hammer to it

If all else fails take a large hammer to it

Otherwise known as a Birmingham Screwdriver..or Bigomma.