Hi Everyone!

I have been working on my strap edges for a while now, and I'm still frustrated with the result! I still get some fraying here and there that feels rough on my shoulder. I am looking for a Filson-like supple finish, as seen in the photo below.  Anyone have any tips or do you know how they achieve this result? Are these straps burnished and painted or do they use paint and an electric creaser?

Thanks very much in advance for your input!

filson strap edge.jpg

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your response - yes, I have tried gum trag, saddle soap, and beeswax (all separately).  I still get fuzzies/fraying! I use english bridle that has been split to 7oz and refinished on the backside and I seem to have a hard time getting that flesh side smooth on the cut edges.

I hate to sound glib, but your answers can be found in Bob Park's tutorial on edge finishing at the top of this very forum. Two takeaways: No shortcuts and forget gum tragacanth.

http://leatherworker.net/bob-park/FinishingEdges-2-15-11.pdf

Works for lots of leathercrafters. Should work for you too.

Michelle

Edit: Now that I see you've used saddle soap and beeswax, here is a little truth that no one, even Bob Park will tell you: Even those Filson edges will never look better than the first day they are burnished in. I've never found an edge treatment that will hold up to a lot of flexing, abrasion or exposure to weather.

Edited by silverwingit

I make straps with English Bridle leather, too. This is my process: 

I use a mixture of beeswax and candelillia wax (80/20). My process goes like this: bevel edges, sand if necessary, rub plenty of wax over the edge (it should completely cover the surface), then burnish on drill press, then burnish again with canvas. It's quite a lot of work, but by going through all these steps I achieve a burnished edge that doesn't fray and won't unravel over time.

If you want dyed edges, you need to sand and burnish with saddle soap before dyeing. Then after applying dyes you can add wax and burnish again. This is basically Bob Park's method which is excellent. I don't dye my edges because it would put my products at too high a price point, but if I were to, I'd take this route. 

It took me a long time to get the process that works for me. After figuring out how to properly burnish, I realized why so many manufacturers just use edge paint. It saves so much time. 

But what silverwingit said is true. No burnished edge retain its smoothness for years and years on straps that go through a lot of flexing. I think that's ok. Acrylic edge finish doesn't last forever either as it'll chip off with long wear. At least burnished edges can be easily re-burnished. 

Hope you nail it. There's not much in leatherwork that is as satisfying as a beautifully burnished edge. :)