Modelia

Advice for cylinder arm machine

Hi all, hoping for some advice on buying a new machine. I make handbags and the consumer machine I have been using is no longer suitable as I have started to use heavier fabrics, faux and real leathers in my bags. While I will probably still use this machine to construct the linings, It is time to purchase an industrial machine.

I started off looking at the Pfaff 335, wanting to compare to others, I then looked at Juki (both LS and the DSC Series), and then finally I came across TechSew's website and looked at a number of their machines.

The machines that I have been browsing all appeared to have similar specs, and all seem to fulfill my needs (which just makes the decision more confusing for me), I also am unsure if I should buy new or used. What are your thoughts on this?

thanks

Where on this planet you live makes difference as to what's available and supported. Search the Leatherworker.net forums for models you're considering (e.g. google"site:leatherworker.net pfaff 335") Chances are good that  almost any machine you're considering has already been discussed and compared at length.

Among my current personal favorites in the medium duty cylinder arm arena are the Juki LS-341/LS-1341 class of machines (and their well-done clones like TechSew 2750,  SewPro 1341, etc.) These machines have some of the most versatile feature set, big bobbins, large needle and thread range, without the limitations that come with a super-thin arm design like the Pfaff 335 or Adler 69 class machines (which are as good as it gets in the thin-arm designs).

A good, used original will cost about the same as a new clone. Make sure manuals and wear parts are available/affordable before you buy (does a new hook cost $35 or $450?) Your budget and access to local service will be a factor in what makes the most sense. Be prepared to learn and do basic maintenance yourself. Shipping a machine around for simple adjustments is no fun.

My preference is the clones of the Seiko LSW and LSC as they are robust and slightly simpler than the PFAFF 335 style. All share a common base and the top end is essentially a Singer 211 compound feed.

A few other choices in the north can be found at Reliable Corp. they are in Canada also, I don't think any machines are completely manufactured there or here in the U.S. but they do offer a style representing the 341 juki.  Sounds like your on the way so enjoy

Good day

Floyd

There are so many versions and clones about, its getting a bit much to find the perfect machine.

I found a  Shanggong GC-335 and also a  Typical GC-2603

Are those good clones? better then the original? I precsume the GC335 is a clone of the Pfaff 335, but what is the GC-2603? 

I live in Belgium, Europe, so American models like cowboy etc are not available.

I think someone should see the hole in the market and start a website with reviews and all necessary info about industrial machines for leather ;)

I would look to see if any HighTex dealers are in Europe.  The are made in the same plant as Cowboy.  I would also check the Highlead machines in England.  This gives you some options in Europe.

glenn

2 hours ago, Blackiy said:

There are so many versions and clones about, its getting a bit much to find the perfect machine.

Are those good clones? better then the original? I precsume the GC335 is a clone of the Pfaff 335, but what is the GC-2603? 

I live in Belgium, Europe, so American models like cowboy etc are not available.

I think someone should see the hole in the market and start a website with reviews and all necessary info about industrial machines for leather ;)

Hi,

you could contact Andreas Kern from http://sieck.de. They carry a whole range of used machines and new clones under the Sieck brandname as well, amongst them 441-clones starting at 1650 Euros with clutch motor. They sell internationally. You could also contact Frank Brunnet from http://frank-brunnet.com/.  He also carries clones, amongst them the Hightex-brand. 441 clones start at 2000 Euros incl. servo motor.

The Shanggong I have not found at dealers that I consider dedicated sewing machine dealers, but I may be mistaken here. Just make sure that you can get real after sale service.

Greets

Ralf C.

Hi!

i found something for the Shanggong GC-335.
Dealer: kornetshop - Price: NEW € 987,- company is located in Praha, the GC-335 is somethere at a store in Germany
There are as well two used ones in Austria. One is still available price € 850,- close to Vienna. One is sold close to Salzburg.
So for me it sounds - lets say - strange... I doesn´t speak for the machine or setting or?

On the other hand I am looking for a cowboy CB-4500 (the Juki TSC-441 clone) - the price range is pretty wide:
at ali : the head from CN: about € 500-700 without freight, tax, etc.
at Brunnet (ebay shop)
- with clutch motor about € 2400,-
- with 220V electronic servo € 2990,-
- with tuned 220V electronic servo € 3490,-
all prices without freight - about € 65,- for Germany

When I am asking my dealer and maintenance shop in Vienna, they don´t want to know anything about a clone and only want to sell me a used Pfaff 335 for € 1600,-

Right now, i have no glue what to do....

with best regards,
Jürgen

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM, Blackiy said:

I would check out Imca BV in Harleem (Nederland) Globalsew.com. (my links do not work, you got to type them in your self) They sell Global who was one of the earliest clones in Europe, they have made machines/parts for Duerkopp Adler. They also sell Hohsing motors (who are one of the best pro sewing motors on the marked today. They have a very good little needle position motor for a reasonable price "G 60", this motor works very well).  They also sell used machines. Sieck.de is already mention above. But do not forget Frank Brunnet GmbH "www.frank-brunnet.com"Germany, he sell several types of clones. I have a Danish friend who bought a clone from him he is very satisfied with, same class you are looking for. He has Global and perhaps Hightex too, and his a nice man to deal with who knows his trade well; good support. Do consider customer service/support as the most important factor when buying a Chinese clone machine. The price comes second, good luck. Tor

Hi,

cheapest offer I can find in Germany is 1900 Euro for a Pfaff 335 new with servo motor. The 335 and the 441 compliment each other, but don't replace each other - IMHO. What do you want to sew?

About kornetshop: The shop-imprint says they are located in Prague, on Ebay he says he is from Bishkek, Kirgistan, and on Ebay-Kleinanzeigen he has clainmed to be all over Germany at the same time. Just make absolutely sure you can actually get the support you expect.

Greets

Ralf C.

kornetshop.com is not a "he" ..kortnetshop.com is a "she"

domain registrant is Svetlana Moiseeva..( website contact says Frau Dubina Svetlana )

has European VAT number ..VAT number: DE 241602141

The owner is probably originally from Bishkek, Kirgistan, and is now married to a Mr ( Herr ) Dubina ?

Legally the business must have an office presence in DE in order to have a DE VAT number, whether that means they have machine stocks, or spare parts in DE..I cannot know.

Or maybe just a business address there and maybe the actual business is elsewhere, I cannot know..the telephone number is in DE ( Kaiserslautern ), but, telephone numbers, when called, can be redirected automatically to anywhere in the world if one wishes.I have business / office addresses and phone/fax numbers in countries where I do not live, to do so is legal..When dealing with any business , one researches, and one makes up one's own mind.

whois details for that domain..

http://webstarratings.com/whois-dns/kornetshop.com

https://who.is/whois/kornetshop.com

Company details ..page is in German and available in English..

http://www.firmenwissen.de/az/firmeneintrag/67655/7090145354/SVETLANA_MOISEEVA_ONLINE_VERKAUF.html

Company is a "sole trader" female owned, owned by Sonix ltd s.r.o

Sonix ltd s.r.o is a Czech company..I'll let you search further if you wish..I cannot read Czech very well.

http://firmy.euro.cz/subjekt-sonix-ltd-s-r-o-24230286

residential address for the part owner ( there are 3 owners ) Svetlana Moiseeva does indeed appear to be in Biškek Kyrgyzská republika

Edited by mikesc

An extra 500 Euros for a "tuned" servo motor? Wonder what an earth a "tuned" servo motor is, first time I've heard of that in all my searching.

Wonder what an earth a "tuned" servo motor is

It "hums" along nicely in C# ? :)

for €500.oo extra, I'd like it to make coffee and, do the dishes and take out the trash too..

7 hours ago, dikman said:

An extra 500 Euros for a "tuned" servo motor? Wonder what an earth a "tuned" servo motor is, first time I've heard of that in all my searching.

Hi,

it is a translation error. Brunnet's homepage states the machine comes with a special motor that enables extremely slow sewing of one stitch every three seconds  (20 rpm) by means of gear reduction. So in plain text me thinks this machine comes with a servo motor and a speed reducer.

Greets

Ralf C.

8 hours ago, mikesc said:

It "hums" along nicely in C# ? :)

Like this one? (min 9.00) Greets Ralf C.

Ha - that's the same servo I had before (the 2nd servo I tried actually) - this annoying beeeeeep sound was a pain - I could not stand it.

That beeping would drive me insane, sounds like Harry has R2D2 powering his machine there..

just a note..belt length isn't measured on the inside circumference of the belt, it is measured on the "median" circumference..which means it is between the outside circumference and the inside circumference of the belt..So to get the belt size that one needs, measure with your string in  the bottom of the grooves( inside circumference of the belt ), and then with your string at the top of the grooves ( outside circumference of the belt) subtract the smaller figure from the larger, divide it by two, and add the result to the smaller figure..that is the median circumference belt that you need..most times you can adjust the motor or the reducer to compensate for only having measured the inside of the belts, but sometimes you can't..ordering by the "median circumference" number means fewer belts that "won't quite fit no matter what you adjust"..

Most of us here will know that, but for anyone reading who didn't , it might save you wasting some money on belts that are "just a bit the wrong size".

Measuring Harry's way ( the inside circumference ) will get you a belt that will be just a little bit smaller than it should be.

Edited by mikesc

I just got around to watching the video, and yes, I wouldn't last long with that infernal beeping! That's really bizarre.

+1

I would be looking for a malfunction code and then it would be history, pdq ( . )  all aside a thanks for the video build and lesson in it, its great!

Some of these things nowadays, its like no one understands, so mfg's think and started then continued to promote by putting more beeps n whistles.

What happened to hey! stop look listen with one beep signal. I have seen this also grow in flashing lights to a point its almost normal, and or insignificant and this has been a hazard.

Why I don't know but I'm using a spare / left over dorm microwave in the shop that seems to beep 5 times, "uh hello" mfg's  1 signal time is good, I'm from the old school and understand " stop" .

By the way, not a very good way to attach a speed reducer; you cannot tension the machines V belt this way. Tor 

Most likely the Typical 2603 has no German relatives. Not all sewing machines have German roots. Not sure who came out first with this model, maybe Mitsubishi or Seiko or Juki... not sure...