Windrider30

Finally finished the gentleman's steampunk corset

This is the very first corset that I have actually drafted on paper, and its also the very first male corset that I have made. As there are a lot of pictures will use imgur for now to show the progress. the two panels I have about 6 MAYBE 7 hours in on tooling and dyeing. this is a ten panel corset but only going to do 8 panels total on tooling I think...I KNOW I will leave the back two panels plain. Going with a steampunk theme on this. As this is the first one I have made I am not using that good of quality of leather just some that I had laying around that I did not like the feel of it for a product that I would actually sell so if I screwed up its not that big of a lose to me. These are just the current photos I have as I continue forward with this.

http://imgur.com/a/X3Dq4

Left side of the corset tooled and dyed ready to be put together, its coming along slow but steady

gentleman's corset left side.jpg

Using imgur to upload the photos as there are a LOT of them, pretty much a step by step as I started the corset, this is the very first corset that I have actually drafted by hand on paper, the corset took about 4 days to do (could have done it in two if life had not gotten in the way!)  Going to add a few more shots of me wearing it with the better camera then the cell phone camera

http://imgur.com/a/r7Mgf

That looks like a lot of work. Good job.

took about 12 hours to tool it, and about a day to dye it, not that long to rivet it so I would say I have about 24 hours or so in to it.  The drafting part was the hardest as I have not done that before.

This looks awesome! How did you go about making the pattern? Is there a place you learned how to do it? :) I'm trying to figure out a way to make a pattern for a female corset and feel pretty intimidated by it.

Sorry it has taken me so long do you have a specific female in mind for this as there is an easy way to do it

Nice job, especially for your first corset!  One quibble, I'd either switch that chain out for a copper or brass one, or add more silver to the corset elsewhere.  Right now it doesn't fit the color scheme.  Like I said though, looks really nice!

First male corset I have made 4 other corsets and yeah the chain does need to be changed out but that was the only stainless steel I had on me.  Here are the other corsets if you want to see, all leather https://gibbinthegremlin.com/collections/corsets no boning in them though for a good reason!

The straps are too short, squared ends look bad, and improper technique for attaching them. IMHO.

I like it, but it would have to be a lot rounder to fit me.;)

19 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I like it, but it would have to be a lot rounder to fit me.;)

LOL... So instead of the hour-glass shaped panels they would be more diamond shaped...

Nice steampunk  theme. :thumbsup:

On 7/17/2016 at 4:33 PM, DNAkris said:

This looks awesome! How did you go about making the pattern? Is there a place you learned how to do it? :) I'm trying to figure out a way to make a pattern for a female corset and feel pretty intimidated by it.

There is at least one good sewing pattern for a woman's corset, by Butterick, B5662.  It could probably be adapted for use with leather.

Corset2.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, RockyAussie said:

Nice steampunk  theme. :thumbsup:

Thanks but thank god when I tried it on that no one was in front of me when I sat down rivets can only hold the fat back for so long, one came shooting off screaming freedom and if someone would have been infront of me they would have had a hole clean though them!!! 

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:33 AM, DNAkris said:

There are two methods well three, you can go on etsy and find corset patterns and use those, you can use the duct tape method (my perfered method) and you can learn to draft corsets (I still suck at that lol)  you can go to http://foundationsrevealed.com/ 

they have a shit ton of articles on corsets, how to draft them everything. Though aimed mostly at women as there are not a lot of calls for male corsets and they are actually constructed different conserning  shape

19 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

Thanks but thank god when I tried it on that no one was in front of me when I sat down rivets can only hold the fat back for so long, one came shooting off screaming freedom and if someone would have been infront of me they would have had a hole clean though them!!! 

Like I previously said. There are ways to attach buckles using rivets that are more secure and will indeed hold the back fat my friend! Al Stohlman sets the benchmark in his books.

19 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

Like I previously said. There are ways to attach buckles using rivets that are more secure and will indeed hold the back fat my friend! Al Stohlman sets the benchmark in his books.

As this was a test with shit leather I was not too worried about it and just used the rivets I had on hand which to be honest were a little small for what I needed but it was a fun project