BonnieB

Singer 111w sv65 tension release

I have a newly acquired Singer 111WSV65.  I have got it to sew using the info from the forum's, lots of great information here.  I cleaned up the tensioner and it seems to be working.  The tension release when you lift the foot is not.  There is a pin that goes through the machine that is activated by the foot lift arm.  The pin is free, moves back and forth, but does not put pressure on the tensioner.  Is that mechanical adjustment or is there a missing spring?

Thanks,

Bonnie

See attached picture - check if the parts are all present (could be be that #15 is missing as not all tension units have this part) especially the pin #11. If pin is present you probably have to adjust the small tab in the center of disc #13 a it towards the machine. It also could be that the pin #20 that goes through the machine is a bit for and does not push against the lever #17 any longer.

It also could be that the whole unit is not properly mounted - loosen the screw #22 and push the tension unit a bit towards the machine and tighten the screw again. Screw is inside the machine casting and you see it when you look from the right

Tension unit.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

I can put a screwdriver behind 17 and make it work.  It looks like the piece on the lift arm is worn so it doesn't move the pin 20 or pin 20 is worn.

Edited by BonnieB

The adjustment is to bend #17,you can put a screwdriver on the upper part on the back side & use another screwdriver on the lower tab on the left  on the front side & bend it alittle towards the back.

I bent #17  but the pin just isn't moving.  The pin is 2 1/4" in. long, doesn't really look worn.  Both ends have a taper.

if the pin is not moving at all your tension release slide is probably worn or broken. Part #19 in this picture.

LW Member Uwe has a Video on how to replace it.

tension release slide.jpg