Chief Filipino

Steer Horn Polish/Finish

So I've been typing in the search bar to try and find information that I'm looking for but haven't had much luck. I am working on a mask that I want to add steer horns on and I wanted to know how best to polish/finish them. 

What I ended up doing was actually rubbing the outside with beeswax, turning it over my zippo, and then buffing it with an old t-shirt. They came out decent, though not shiny. 

Is this a valid way to finish them? Is there a better way? I am looking to do some other artistic somethingorother with the left over horn and would like to find a way to bring out the natural beauty of the horns. 

Any advice? What have you done? Anyone have any pictures? 
Thanks!

horns.jpg

The technique I worked out goes like so. Rough sandpaper followed by Light sandpaper and so on until fairly smooth. Luckily I have some pretty good and fast sanding machines.Then with a 6" rag wheel in a good size bench grinder I polish with Tripoli wax until I am happy. When I make leather or croc hairbars I usually use a tapered cow horn stick about 1/4 round about5" long.

Hope this helps

Regards Brian

Just found this not great pic in my files but it may help

CC Hair bar.JPG

I would put them on my buffer with some rouge and polish them tona mirror finish

Ummmmmmmmmmm sooooo ya my attempt was not very adequate. HAHAHA thank you for the tips. At this time I do have to do everything by hand, so unfortunately no buffer wheel other than my own two hands. Thank you for the assist. I have lots of work to do 

0000 steel wool after sanding and I bet those horns shine. I know it works great on bone and antler.

Michelle

Awesome thanks Michelle! Do you just use that or do you put any kind of finish on it? 

No other finish required, though a coat of floor wax and some buffing might put a mirror finish on it.

Please let us know how it works for you if you try it.

Thanks,

Michelle

Thank you! I will post a pic if it all goes successfully!