veedub3

Tandy now carries the Tippmann Boss

Not sure when this came about, but I was in Tandy today picking up hardware and saw this:

boss.jpg

If you have the Elite Membership you can get it for $200 less......

Karina

I got an email notification about Tandy carrying these recently, so I bet they are just hitting the shelves. Tippman has been making them and selling them for years though. 

I am aware of that, I really was referring to the $200.00 discount with the Eliite Membership at Tandy which is free if you have a business license.

Does Tippmann give a discount if purchased direct from them?

Karina

Edited by veedub3

the evil empire carried these for years.  They discontinued it because they were going to introduce their own manual sewing machine. It actually looked pretty nice.

But, Tippmann sued and won over copyright infingements so it never made it to the shelves. So of course the evil empire was pissed and wouldn't carry it again. Now that the CEO has been ousted, and sanity has been restored into the management stream it looks like they will carry it again because they know they have to offer some kind of sewing machine.   The price is $1495 on Tippmann's website which is the only way I know to direct order.  Tippmann used to offer a discount around Christmas time, so hopefully they'll do that again. If I remember right the evil empire used to buy these from Tippmann for about $900 so there should be plenty of margin for discounting. cheers!

Ahhhhh.......... wow

Edited by veedub3

Good to hear Tandy is actually cheaper on something. I just got a renewal notice in the mail for my membership, but I am not going to renew. Their quality has gone down and prices have gone up on leather. 

I heard these things used to sell for 1,000 or below retail new.  Some of the threads here actually back that up.  

As for the tandy's - I can verify, ~1,500 & 1,300 with elite was what tandy employee told me for them too.  I was in last Saturday. 

It's a tough sale for me knowing I'm paying $300 extra for a unit.  Then toss in that $1,500 is very close to the $1,700 for Cowboy 3200 or a step up for $2,100 on the Cowboy 3500 which I'm told is the specs & setup leather workers would want after their first year.

I would much rather have the motorized machine, but the Boss has some advantages as it can sew with heavier thread, thicker leather, and is portable.

tippman boss ad.JPG

cowboy 3200.JPG

Yea - I noted the 3500 is one step up from the boss in terms of all the specs.  Honestly - I'm torn - it feels like 1/2" is enough for me & shoes ... and the servo motor is well worth it - but also, I'm not a great sewer of cloth to begin with ... I was told if you're going grab a beginner machine & have a pre-existing business - just get the 3500 cowboy & skip the entry level stuff.  I've done calls to 7 vendors so far & read here every month in addition to a few other places.  I'm still learning to use the pricking irons oldschool style.

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3500.html

Im holding out for the Cowboy 4500 package. I was hand sewing everything, and I bought a used Consew 206, and I was able to pay for the machine in a few weeks with projects I sewed on the machine. When I was hand stitching, a guitar strap took me 4-6 hours and my hand were wrecked for days afterwards. The machine sews a guitar strap in less than 5 minutes with prep time and all. I could see buying the Tippman if I needed something portable or needed soemthing small for storage.

cowboy 4500.JPG

It seems like a great machine - the guy over at Toledo told me the basic difference was the arm length & 3500/4500/5500 were pretty much the same machine otherwise.

Oh, if only I could by a Tippman Boss for $1,600, instead of £1,600.:rolleyes2:

It appears that when Tandy send me a mail drop, all they've done is Tippex out the dollar sign, and replace it with a pound sign...........

10 minutes ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Oh, if only I could by a Tippman Boss for $1,600, instead of £1,600.:rolleyes2:

It appears that when Tandy send me a mail drop, all they've done is Tippex out the dollar sign, and replace it with a pound sign...........

well that's an equivelant of $2400 US.  Seems like you could get it shipped from the US and still come way under that. but you'd have to get it direct from Tippmann. The evil empires has their stupid rules that no store can sell to Europe except one of the European stores. 

-nick

Meh