Sign in to follow this  
irishsaintcarver

Any advantage to one type bottom?

Is there a advantage to one type of briefcase bottom over another?  I have enough leather to make the case I want with one piece for the front, bottom and back, sewing in only the sides, and having only 3 pieces of leather to deal with, this seems easiest; it seems most folks sew in a separate bottom and sides using, then, 5 pieces of leather.  The only disadvantage I see could be wearing out the bottom - however, since it will be a laptop case I don't think it will spend much time on the bottom - mostly laid down on it's back.

You know, typing this out has convinced me to use one piece for the main bag and sew in only the sides........................................ but I am going to wait and see if there is a good reason from you knowledgeable folks on why I should not do that.  Thanks, so much, I'm a wood carver dabbling in leather and would really appreciate the advice from leather workers.  Phil

Thanks, Mike.  I appreciate the input and will definitely weigh yield into my decision.  Phil