Nothing wrong with using commercially available patterns, but likely much better to make your own.  Using a ready-made pattern certainly good for the newcomer, since you can concentrate on learning the LEATHER.  But at some point, most of us will find it more convenient to design our own -- whether that's to save the money spent on "so many" patterns, or to let you customize the work to your taste (or that of your customer).

That said, here's a quick "thingy" that may help with that.  This discussion concerns a folding case for a small notebook.  I had in mind the little "field notes" pocket size notebooks when I wrote this, but it can be applied to other projects of various sizes.  Once I receive the actual notebook, I'll likely put up a "ready to go" pattern for those who care to use it, but for now .. some of you who already use those books may want to create your own design...

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/

Much like that old saying, 'give a guy a fish, he's good til, dinner. teach a guyta fish, ya never see 'im agin' .  or, something like that, right?

Edited by JLSleather

:oops:... couple pics reversed in that text.  FIXED NOW, but the 5 or 6 who already downloaded should get the latest ....

Thanks again, Jeff!

Bill

1 minute ago, billybopp said:

Thanks again, Jeff!

Bill

Welcome!  Did you get the late version?  I see about 5 or 6 people got the one with the pics reversed.  So, the file you want is called NotebookLayout.pdf

The 'wrong' one was deleted, but you folks is QUIK ;) 

Seemed like I needed a little room for future expansion, so that file is not moved over one notch, to here...

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/leather-pattern-notebook-layout/

Next file uploaded... laying out your own pancake holster designs.  Somebody gonna proof-read that varmint for me? Staring at it way too long for one day... so do let me know if you think there's something else shoulda got added!

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downloads/leather-pattern-making-pancake-holster/

15 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Next file uploaded... laying out your own pancake holster designs.  Somebody gonna proof-read that varmint for me? Staring at it way too long for one day... so do let me know if you think there's something else shoulda got added!

http://www.jlsleather.com/sdm_downloads/leather-pattern-making-pancake-holster/

Looks good!  For me, everything was easy to follow except for the "Add the stitch lines on both sides of the gun, equal to the thickness of the gun from your outline".  Just when reading that and looking at the picture I struggled and had to take a bit to understand.  So I went to my G19 and traced it, measured 1.5" thickness, divided that by 2 so I have equal stitch lines of .75" on both sides.  Again, probably just me.....:rolleyes2:

:rofl:

Actually, I was just in there myself, in the process of changing that.  Durn thing wouldn't let me do it without changing the file name, so DO GO get the update and delete the file you had (different file name was only way it would go through).

Thanks for the pointer!  Guess I'll go make changes to the "avenger" style before uploading too ;)

WAIT>.  you got a G19 that's 1/1/2" thick??

Edited by JLSleather

3 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

WAIT>.  you got a G19 that's 1/1/2" thick??

Okay. i'll get the new one.   Yeah see, that's my confusion.  If I follow the instructions and measure the "thickness of the gun from the outline", then yes, the G19 is 1.5" thick on the outline.  If the intent is to measure the thickness of the "top of the slide", then I would be at 1" thick (width).

OH>. now I get ya.  Yeah, that should be THICKNESS, not height top to bottom.  HOLD ON .. I'm gonna clarify that.. never ocurred to me somebody would see it like that.. which is why I asked :)

Edited by JLSleather

Yep, new instruction looks good and image makes it clear to understand....Appreciate this!

Still not quite right. :blush:

Scratchin' the head for a minute.. some short way to say the math ...

I'll give it a go, but probably not short...

Now to measure and draw the stitch lines:

1. Grab your gun and measure the width of the top of the slide and divide this number by 2
    1. Example:  Slide width = 1" divided by 2 equals .5"
  2. Turn gun over and measure the width of the frame, at it's widest point forward of the trigger guard, and divide this number by 2
    1. Example:  Frame width = 1.2" divided by 2 equals .6"
  3. Now draw both stitch lines onto your pattern using the distances from steps 1 and 2 above

Not sure in step 2, "at it's widest point" is correct, so please use use your words there.

Well, there ya go... it's not "at its widest point"... but rather at EACH point.  The offset is NOT the same at the trigger guard as it is at the muzzle end of the slide.  Maybe I should put that in there ;)

'Preciate ya looking at this.  This is why I asked for pointers... sometimes the way I say what I mean doesn't mean the next guy follows it!  After all, I got married back when and I STILL aint sure what i said that caused that!!! :)

Anyway, if your G19 has a slide width of exactly 1" (for example) then the offset at the slide would be 9/16"  (half the slide plus half the 8 oz leather).

But the trigger guard is more like .600", so half that and half the leather is about 3/8".  Where the frame widens, the trigger guard narrows, so in actual practice.. a guy would get it close and then mold in the difference...

Edited by JLSleather

18 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Well, there ya go... it's not "at its widest point"... but rather at EACH point.  The offset is NOT the same at the trigger guard as it is at the muzzle end of the slide.  Maybe I should put that in there ;)

'Preciate ya looking at this.  This is why I asked for pointers... sometimes the way I say what I mean doesn't mean the next guy follows it!  After all, I got married back when and I STILL aint sure what i said that caused that!!! :)

Anyway, if your G19 has a slide width of exactly 1" (for example) then the offset at the slide would be 9/16"  (half the slide plus half the 8 oz leather).

But the trigger guard is more like .600", so half that and half the leather is about 3/8".  Where the frame widens, the trigger guard narrows, so in actual practice.. a guy would get it close and then mold in the difference...

Glad to assist.  Since this is a learning process for me it really helps to talk through it.  Maybe you and immiketoo could collaborate on some real time instruction in the future.

Yes the marriage thing...ditto...:lol:

I think your last 2 lines above explain it better as I was not even figuring or thinking about the thickness of the leather.

Avenger version of a holster for that same pistol now up and working.  Starting a kinda 'index' page at http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/

Download all ya want.. we'll make more .

Had to alter a bit again.   Apparently, some people think that "width" of the slide means side to side when you're holding the gun, and some think that "width" of the gun means the outline when it's laying on the table.

Included a sketch, so hopefully it's quite clear now ;)

slide.gif

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks for posting these, they are very helpful!

NEVER gits old hearing that, Bob --- welcome, and glad I could help!

Edited by JLSleather

The first of several variations of the field notes notebook cover ready for download.  I added 1/4" to the height, for those who care to lace the edges instead of stitching.  This one uses 4 separate pieces, so you can use up some smaller pieces.  Rumor is this will get listed at a small cost on Cutesy, so smart money says download the free one while the sun shines (or something like that).

Find it in the "OTHER DIY" section: Field Notes Style A

DSC00510.jpg 

Color added since the pic, but I wanted to show the style and size of it (only).  Bob prolly got a tooling design for this one ready to go anyway ;)

Thanks for sharing this!

Welcome. And that's 209.5 x 158.75 to you ;)

Re-loading with metric measurements.  I'm even going to proof read this time before sending :rofl:

Edited by JLSleather

Thank you for sharing all patterns!

Welcome! :yes:  More coming soon ....

Thanks for the patterns. I got the one for the Pancake style magazine holster for the Glock 17/19 and it fits the mags for my P229 just fine.

I printed two sets and modified it via cut and tape to a double mag holster. This is my second piece in leatherwork and the first piece of gun leather.

First leatherwork was a field quiver for my son. But the mag holster is really nice, it rides high and hold the mags tight.