leatherbuff

Guestion on durability of sheep skin

I just started making a simple camera bag for myself. I had thick black calf skin and extremely thin dark tan sheep skin as inline. Now I am thinking that I turn around the leather and use the millimeter thin soft sheep skin in tan color for outside of the bag and the black thick leather as inline. I usually use the thin skin for inside the watch strap because of the softness.

My question is: What speaks against having the thin skin exposed? would it be damaged after a few time of use?

Cheers

I figured it out myself. The thin skin was getting dirty while I was working on it so I decided to go with the original plan, which was to use the soft sheep tan skin as lining.

IMG_0408 copy.jpg

i have used a full sheep skin as a seat covering on my motorcycle for years. thru wind rain dirt it has always held up i had one i used for 3 years straight and i am not talking about riding a few miles, 10,000 plus miles a year. i don't think you will have any issues with it. BTW, i also use it in zippered gun cases

A lot of soft leather jackets are lambskin. They last relatively well for that, so I think you'll be okay with your camera case. Since camera cases carry valuable equipment they aren't usually abused so I think either approach would have worked.

If the leather is soft, it will snag easily and show wear on corners quite quickly.  Snagged the sleeve on my nice lambskin jacket going out the door one day.  Caught on the screen door handle and ripped it!  I would hesitate to use it on case exteriors if it is very soft temper.

Tom

I just made a wallet using sheepskin on the outside and it is very soft and pliable - this is the first time I used sheepskin and I worry that it will hold up under use - small snags seem to easily cause tears.