n866

Consew Model 225 Should I buy! Will it work?

Hi everyone I'm a long time lurker, and almost always find my answers with out posting.  You guys are great with all the support you put out there. 

I've found an old Consew 225 from a local guy who used it to do some upholstery work.  I would be looking to use it as my first machine.  I do a lot of wallets with about 4oz liners and more like 5-7 oz tooled outers, but have been wanting to be able to stich some guitar straps, maybe even a belt.  I imagine that may be stretching it.  As far as I know its just a clutch motor, and I may need to make some upgrades but I believe I can get it somewhere between 2 and 300$ and I can see it run before I buy? 

Do any of you all have any experience or pointers before I pull the trigger.  I think it may be a little underpowered, but with some upgrades I think it may work? 

I've considered doing some lighter bag type

Thanks all!

20160527_103823.jpeg

ok I meant to post this in the leather sewing machine forum, so if someone wants to move this feel free!

Sorry!

Your here! 

It sounds great for your projects size mentioned, as turning the piece around for any locking the thread is easily done this way too and several other ways some can mention instruction for.

Its worth what you want and have considered to give from your experience in the location or sale type.  With that I would consider what usualy members talk about here from time to time, like motors and pulleys and reducers.

I think the wallets could go for the standard motor setup but slowed down, though the guitar and belts can easily be on the reducer addition.  The machine from my view looks good but lifting the hood and the running of it is a key so at least oil it and if possible ask for test run, no load then fabric and or leather in various thickness.

Good weekend find for sure

Floyd

edit: oh ya like them lights, and I normally replace with the new style bulbs and way cooler on the arm and mine are irreplaceable.

Edited by brmax

He told me not only would he run it but he would tech me to use it the way he has it set up for the upholstery.  Thanks for chiming in!

Consew 225 (twins of the SInger 111W155) are great starter machines, both for learning how to sew with industrial machines and how to maintain/adjust them. Parts are readily available and cheap, should you need them. A new servo motor may be a worthwhile investment right upfront. I have a few videos on YouTube about this class of machines, including a hook adjustment video wich may be useful if you end up buying the machine:

Edited by Uwe

I reckon because it doesn't have reverse or a servo you might be able to knock the price down!;)

Sounds like a pretty good deal and would be a nice cheap intro to industrial sewing machines.

Awesome everyone thanks!

Great video by the way!  Wish they were all that nice.

Well I pulled the trigger and I'll be going over to help him dig it out of his shop after I get back from vacation next week.  Thanks everyone.  I'm sure I'll be back with questions!