9tpi

Horween Latigo bag, Saddle stitched

Hello all,

A recent bag i made for my better half. Design was her request and my job was to execute. 

The bag is completely hand stitched (saddle stitch) with 432 Fil au Chinois, ecru, linen thread @ 6 spi (7tip iron). Leather is Horween Latigo, 5 oz thick. Brass harware.

While i love the temper that the Latigo offers (beautiful for a structured bag) finishing the edge is not an enjoyable process. I'm sure a fileteuse would make it a far more tolerable...one day.

Cotton lining, zippered pocket and cell pouch.

C91299D0-1EA3-4BCA-8F8D-65EC1D85C5CA_zps

25DB35EA-7D4B-4BB8-B67E-7F0601D2F9E1_zps

389AC4C6-C150-47AB-8255-D4C5B542391A_zps

6031D4ED-8BD6-47CD-A195-EF9230ECC489_zps

FA99EC9D-3F82-4491-8FA9-7DC3A5A95240_zps

3A72D154-EAF6-4521-B1F0-CC3268BB0BBD_zps

95FEC42D-2FA6-4D75-8482-9A411B44755D_zps

CFBC527F-7E96-484C-B5BE-7C751437A3D1_zps

67D266DF-BE3B-41F5-9F86-26129A424EE7_zps

Very nice!! Stitching is perfect!

3 hours ago, benlilly1 said:

Very nice!! Stitching is perfect!

Thank you very much 

Unusual bag design, but the execution of it is breathtaking good.

That is some of the best hand stitching I have seen in awhile.

Very nice! I would be thrilled to have that bag!

Karina

Nice work! Stitching looks great. Interior looks really nice, complex but not overly busy. Creases look good. How many coats did you use for your edges? Looks like they just need more sanding and a few more coats... But it gets old I know.

Exceptionally done!

On May 28, 2016 at 7:55 PM, GrampaJoel said:

Unusual bag design, but the execution of it is breathtaking good.

That is some of the best hand stitching I have seen in awhile.

Thank you very much, GrampaJoel. That's kind of you to say .

On May 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM, veedub3 said:

Very nice! I would be thrilled to have that bag!

Karina

Thank you, Karina

On May 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM, thefanninator said:

Nice work! Stitching looks great. Interior looks really nice, complex but not overly busy. Creases look good. How many coats did you use for your edges? Looks like they just need more sanding and a few more coats... But it gets old I know.

I only had 2 coats, maybe 3 at times. Probably should have spent more time painting and sanding. I got impatient lol

And thank you for the kind words.

On May 29, 2016 at 3:40 AM, 5 Spice said:

Exceptionally done!

Thank you !

Edited by 9tpi

Celine inspired bag ;)

Unusual is that handle stitched with edge paint facing the front side. 

6spi is definitely stands for a traditional saddlery.

Well done and keep going.

P.S.: FIleteuse will make a huge difference

1 hour ago, misarins said:

Celine inspired bag ;)

Unusual is that handle stitched with edge paint facing the front side. 

6spi is definitely stands for a traditional saddlery.

Well done and keep going.

P.S.: FIleteuse will make a huge difference

Ha! Nailed it! Exactly! 

she loves the look of the Celine but wanted something a little more rustic. Chestnut leather, off white thread etc.

The handle placement is intentional. I actually like seeing the side where the handle is joined. 

Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

Really nice job - that's the first of that style I've seen made with latigo, and it looks pretty sweet. I feel you on the edging.... but believe me, edging it without edge paint is even worse. A total disaster/nightmare.

In the wild

IMG_3683.JPG

Edited by 9tpi

When I saw my first filetuese manuelle it appeared to be a rather exotic piece of equipment, and because I was led to believe it was not available in this country, it seemed out of reach. But then I found an American equivalent in the "Hot Iron Glazing Station" at Campbell-Randall (over there in Texas), with assorted attachments available, including creasing and glazing tips. I found the price to be more affordable than any other source, and am more than happy with my purchase.

Here's the link for anyone that might be interested: http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_110&product_id=14436

That is a lovely bag and the stitching really sets it off. Judging by the look of it you have obviously made a few bags in the past. With this in mind could I ask (as someone who is relatively new to leather work and who is having to teach myself) how do you go about designing a bag like this? I would love to make something like this for my wife but. Wallets, card holders and belts etc are relatively easy to get an understanding og but I look at items like this and haven't really a clue where to start.

One way might be to find a used purse at a flea market or thrift store and take it apart. That would give you a sense of the overall dimensions like length, width and height, not to mention the stitching and hardware.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:49 AM, owenzachary said:

That is spectacular! Just perfection.  Lucky lady and great job!!

Thank you very much. She is quite happy with it.

On 10/21/2016 at 1:52 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

When I saw my first filetuese manuelle it appeared to be a rather exotic piece of equipment, and because I was led to believe it was not available in this country, it seemed out of reach. But then I found an American equivalent in the "Hot Iron Glazing Station" at Campbell-Randall (over there in Texas), with assorted attachments available, including creasing and glazing tips. I found the price to be more affordable than any other source, and am more than happy with my purchase.

Here's the link for anyone that might be interested: http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_110&product_id=14436

That is a great option and have not heard about it until now. Since my initial post i have purchased a m6000 machine. I do love it. The initial stickerprice is crazy it is very robust and well built. Definately an industrial machine, not a comsumer/hobby product by any means.

Edited by 9tpi

On 10/22/2016 at 11:10 AM, Dunluce said:

That is a lovely bag and the stitching really sets it off. Judging by the look of it you have obviously made a few bags in the past. With this in mind could I ask (as someone who is relatively new to leather work and who is having to teach myself) how do you go about designing a bag like this? I would love to make something like this for my wife but. Wallets, card holders and belts etc are relatively easy to get an understanding og but I look at items like this and haven't really a clue where to start.

Thank you very much. 

I too felt it was a daunting task to create a bag from scratch, never mind making it lined.

What i do is spend 90% of my time mentally breaking down each component of the bag into its basic parts. In this case the bottom, front and back, gussets, flap, closure, inside pocket and lining.

On my commute to work, watching television, etc I try to come up with every roadblock or complication I might run into before I even touch the leather. How will the stiff (double thick 5 oz Latigo) font and back behave when i try to bend them around  90 degrees to meet the bottom of the bag? How will i attach the lining, and internal zipper pocket? How will the gusset behave and what will the final form look like? etc

I use paper templates or cheap felt to make prototypes. 

This is all very time consuming but if a beautiful finished product is more important than getting it done quickly, this is the way to go. 

If you take the time to plan, the bag will come together effortlessly.

Beautiful work!!

And I feel what you say about planning your work. I do spend some time prototyping with paper, felt and foamy sheets. It takes out a lot of guessing.