zoomer56

Alligator Seat...How To Protect It

Just completed this seat.  Not real alligator, it is embossed cow hide with black upholstery leather between the panels.  What should I use for protection?  Hard coats like Fiebings Tan Kote and Tandy Super Sheene, Or dressings like Dr Jacksons Neatsfoot Oil Compound or Skidmores Leather Cream.  The hard coat stuff does not soak in but results in a hard layer of protection.  The other stuff has oils, beeswax and stuff that soak in.  What to use....?

20160528_131634.jpg

I'm going to jump in and say since it's already finished like upholstery leather the only thing to put on it would be a light leather cream only when needed. I've not used embossed leather so this is a guess. Super Sheene and Tan Kote  or anything oily I would think would be a no no. Nice seat by the way.

Thank you benlilly1.  Embossed means the 'gator pattern is pressed in. I was concerned that putting a dressing would soften it and cause the pattern to relax some.

Grasso from URAD.

All done.  I have decided to use dressing that has oils and beeswax.  This will protect from sun and rain.

see it  https://youtu.be/Zlcy6aKZfSI

Edited by zoomer56
add link