Chief Filipino

Beeswax, some leather, a lighter, and a burnisher

So I tried something out tonight that seemed to work fairly well. After all was said and done for my final burnishing touch I rubbed some beeswax on a piece, then flame kissed it with a lighter and immediately used my burnisher on it. I like the results, but I am not sure if this is a valid technique. 

1. Has anyone else tried this? 

2. Will this damage the leather piece?

3. Is there a better way? I like to use beeswax on my edges to seal them up instead of edge kote. 

4. Thank you.

I cant remember the exact mixs for everything but there are a few threads around giving details for this exact practice. Its been a while but the mix of bees wax/rosin/neetsfoot oil that I use for my thread waxing I will use on edges of vegtan projects. If I remember right there is another mixture for edges that works well also that is a little easier to apply. The BW/R/NF oil creates a pretty hard brick/ball when it hardens and it will soften up with heat so takes some work. 

Also look at hidepownders sticky above.

Edited by MADMAX22

Ok so I forgot some of my techniques, been a while since I did any nice vegtan products (leatherwork in general really). 

Here is a thread where myself and others go over some of this stuff 

Man links attach weird now, anyhow. 

There are a ton of these threads if ya look around some. 

Thanks Madmax!

Thanks Madmax again. I need to learn how to type in the proper search terms when I am searching for a specific topic. 

3 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

Thanks Madmax again. I need to learn how to type in the proper search terms when I am searching for a specific topic. 

Honestly, I have found it easier to search on Google and then click on all the topic links that it provides to this site. That just seems to work for me.

Good idea Biker thanks!

1 hour ago, Chief Filipino said:

Good idea Biker thanks!

Might get me banned. Hahaha

Hopefully not! You're still using the site so I think it should be fine. The search doesn't pull what I am looking for unless I type in just one or two tags, but then I have to go through so much to find anything I'm looking for. That's just my experience anyway.

i mix beeswax and coconut oil. i use one part coconut oil to one part beeswax (measured by weight) melt them in a double burner and apply to leather. i usually only do it to leather that will have heavy use such as motorcycle seats and outdoor products.

On May 30, 2016 at 10:53 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Honestly, I have found it easier to search on Google and then click on all the topic links that it provides to this site. That just seems to work for me.

On May 31, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Chief Filipino said:

Hopefully not! You're still using the site so I think it should be fine. The search doesn't pull what I am looking for unless I type in just one or two tags, but then I have to go through so much to find anything I'm looking for. That's just my experience anyway.

Google has much larger servers and more refined indexing in their search database.

Do a Google search specifying site:leatherworker.net followed by your search words.  No spaces in site:xxxx.  You can limit your search to any site you wish by using the site parameter.

Tom

49 minutes ago, northmount said:

Google has much larger servers and more refined indexing in their search database.

Do a Google search specifying site:leatherworker.net followed by your search words.  No spaces in site:xxxx.  You can limit your search to any site you wish by using the site parameter.

Tom

That's cool. Thanks.

Thanks Tom! 

On 8/18/2016 at 8:35 AM, wantedleatherworks said:

i mix beeswax and coconut oil. i use one part coconut oil to one part beeswax (measured by weight) melt them in a double burner and apply to leather. i usually only do it to leather that will have heavy use such as motorcycle seats and outdoor products.

Hello Wantedleatherworks! Thank you for the info. I am not sure what a double burner is so I want to clear up my confusion. Is that where you have a pot of water heating, then insert a jar/bottle with the wax and oil inside of it?   If so do you store it in the fridge then? What is the best way to apply it: heated/liquidy or solid-ish like saddle soap? 

Sounds like it should be double boiler.  Most recipes melting any kind of wax use a double boiler or equivalent to reduce risk of inflammable vapours and a possible fire.

Tom

Yeah double boil for sure. 

I dont know if it is recommended but I also use a small crock pot/sauce warmer. I got it when I bought a normal size crockpot. Its totally ruined now but the only thing going into it is wax mixtures. Takes a while to melt everything up but eventually it does (few hours). As always have some ventilation. 

Crock pots are good.  Have seen them posted here before for melting wax and blending NFO.  Just don't tell your wife what happened to her crock pot!

Tom

Save yoursef some grief, and your marriage, and buy one of those beauty salon electric wax melters.   I bought one from fleabay for about £10, and it works fine for melting and mixing wax concoctions. 

back in Australia when I was a bit of a lad , in th saddle shops I worked in n also in English saddlery, thar is an edge iron a curled concave lip. various sizes for various thickness. we usually had a [tea] coffee can in which we stuck a candle. th tool has a long shaft with a wooden handle.we'd set th tool over th flame,usually resting on a base of some make up. th flame would heat up th tip, then we'd dip it into a block of beeswax n rub it down th edged piece,when u get th hang of it it goes along good, seems like th edge would be died first, th wax really makes a smooth edge , remember slippin a time or three n burnin my holdin hand too.

Awesome! Thanks for the input!