lematty

j.d. randall leather machine how much is it worth

I picked up 2 machines need to know how much to ask and where to sell. I bought 30 machines but only 2 are randalls .

Just a suggestion, post some pics or atleast list what exactly they are, there are different types of randall machines.

It says the pic is to big 

I'm going to take other pics

And I also have 5 different  union specials 

1464646892013.jpg

1464646892013.jpgDon't know much about these please let me know what you think

I will move this post to the Marketplace once the OP sets a price.

Please give me a estimate on price I need help 

3 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

Just a suggestion, post some pics or atleast list what exactly they are, there are different types of randall machines.

Posted

They're worth whatever somebody is willing to pay. Transportation cost can be significant, too, with these behemoths.

Auction items can be tricky to value because you have zero history on them - they were either "working when removed from factory," or they were beyond-repair parts machines they kept around to scavenge parts from as needed, or something in between.

We actually have a member from Campbell Randall on the forum (user name: CampbellRandall) . He (or she) may be able to tell you (privately, perhaps) how much they offer for machines they take in to be refurbished, and how much they cost in perfect working condition after having been refurbished by them. The value of yours will lie somewhere in between, likely towards the bottom end of the range. It shouldn't be too much of a secret, really, the fellow who runs the Landis operation gave me useful ballpark value figures for the Landis 16 I recently acquired.

Edited by Uwe

One way to look at it is you take the total amount you paid for the thirty machines at the auction, divide that amount by 30, and - voilà - that is exactly what these machines were worth to you. A great starting point. Double that amount if you want to make a 100% profit. 

Edited by Uwe

In 2009, a LW member determined a Randall for $700 was a good deal:

Here's the part about the Randall, picture looks just like yours.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 8.56.14 PM.png

Edited by Uwe

So I was reading it said it's worth 5 to 6 times that . Maybe I'll try 1500

28 minutes ago, lematty said:

So I was reading it said it's worth 5 to 6 times that . Maybe I'll try 1500

Add that to your post and we'll move it to the Used Sewing Machines section of our Marketplace.

Good machines but a pretty tough sale these days. One sold in good working order at a leather equipment and tool auction I was at about 6 months ago for  around $300. The old machines don't go for what they did several years ago, just look at the sale prices from the Whitman leather auction at the end of last year.

Weaver will have their auction next month and the auction value will be established.

8 hours ago, lematty said:

I picked up 2 machines need to know how much to ask and where to sell. I bought 30 machines but only 2 are randalls . Going to asks 1000 dollars each

I don't know that prices established at the Weaver auction constitutes anything but the price, there, on that day.  I have seen used-up machines (still currently available) go for more than the new list price.  A lot of their customers aren't generally dealing with the global reality, just the reality of that particular community.  Then again, I've seen really great machines and tack and leather go for nothing.  Kind of a crap shoot there, it can go either way.

Art

6 minutes ago, lematty said:

Don't know where you are, but the Weaver auction might be good for your hardware.  That is a harness community up there and the machines will be appreciated.

Art