Hey guys,

Just wanted to post some pictures of the belts we've started making. I think we've finally got the process down, but as many of you know, there is always more to learn. Next step is to try the neatsfoot oil/beeswax mixture as a sealant and finisher. Right now, we're using a 50/50 mix of Acrylic Resolene and water. 

20160503_Gray-Bull-Set002_001 v02.jpg

20160503_Gray-Bull-Set002_002 v02.jpg

Nice looking belts.....!

I like the clip point ends.

I haven't done a belt yet, but it's on my short list with a wallet.

Nice to see someone is offering belts made the right way for everyday use. Since I'm working on a belt myself I was wondering what do you do to the insides to make them uniform?  

Just a couple of quick comments:

1.  By only putting in 5 holes, you force your customer to not be a weight gainer / loser.  Many people will gain or lose enough in the seasonal change that they will need another hole punched in one end or the other.  I personally build mine so there are 7 holes, . . . it makes the overall belt 2 inches longer, . . . but gives them 3 inches of adjustment in or out, . . . 5 holes only gives them 2 inches.

2.  The belt keeper is too narrow.  In a relatively short time, it will become a floppy, loose, useless addition to the belt.

3.  The belt keeper was not burnished properly if at all.

4.  The burnishing technique you used on the brown belt was hit/miss.  Above the tongue end in the picture, there are dark spots on the burnishing, caused by erratic pressure on the edge during burnishing.  Either be very light and do not get any discoloration, . . . or pour the pressure to it, . . . darken it uniformly from one end to the other.

BUT, . . . overall you have a good start, . . . and think about putting a liner on your belt.  Even a thin liner adds to the attractiveness and overall utility of the belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

I haven't been making mine for a long period of time and market mine to the CCW people, but knowing that there is a stretch factor with the leather and if you can add in a stitch line it adds more value for the same amount to your customer.  One thing I don't do is remove any leather where the stitch line goes I use a tool that will create the grove where the stitch line will sit just below the surface.  Also if you have or can get an account with Weaver leather you can buy Keepers that have been pre sewn to also add a little extra value to the belt.  Of course your market may be different than mine one reason for sewing mine is that they are double layer with a stainless liner.  YMMV.

Good Luck