Neugi

Singer 153K101

I posted a thread before asking about a machine I'd run accross and got some great advice,so here goes again. I've come across a Singer 153K101 for $700 and would appreciate some more advice. Here's the ad on Craigslist   http://houston.craigslist.org/for/5561788599.html     My main interest is in making western style belts and holsters (cowboy action shooting) and many of the holsters have welts so I need to sew some thick leather at times. I tried to do some research on this machine but could not find all the answers I need. Will this sew thicker leather, 1/4"-3/8" ? Is it a walking foot model and is a walking foot model neccesary? Is this a fair price and are parts available? 

Thanks in advance,

Neugi

It is walking foot..it is old..
thread about one here
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/68911-singer-153k101-not-sewing/
Eric , Wiz, or Shoepatcher et al ( or maybe Al ;) may be around, they know the animal..

Looks like they have spent a bit on new stand, clutch motor, table top plus the shipping of 80. minimum I'm sure for the this stuff.

So were looking at 300.00 less the machine possibly, all these good deals around yet so far away and its the shipping of the product that is a consideration sometimes so the choosing and waiting time can be tough on interested folk.

Good luck there

It appears they put money into a table and motor, but that head is old. The hook is gear driven and I would be leary.  It's more suited for belts than holsters. With a clutch motor, you may have issues with the speed. If it were me, I'd pass at that price.

Regards, Eric 

I once owned that Singer model. I found it was best used with #138 and smaller thread. Actually, the standard size bobbin doesn't hold much size 138 thread, so I tended to restrict it to #69 or 92. It ended up being my vest and hat making machine.

The 153 machines may be physically able to sew up to 3/8, but are more reliable at 5/16 and under. In order to penetrate that much hard veg-tan leather, with a #23 needle and #138 thread, you'd need a speed reducer between the motor and machine.

Again, thanks to all for the advice, you've saved me from wasting hard earned money. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of machine I need/want. I don't take on a lot of projects right now because I'm really getting tired of hand stitching. I started this hobby about a year ago by making a gun belt and pair of holsters for myself for Cowboy Action Shooting, others saw them and the "I want one" or "can you make me a " started. I've stuck to small projects so far but without even advertising I gotten requests for everything under the sun, so I'll keep my nose in this forum and try to figure out what I need. I'm leaning towards a "Boss" because I don't plan on going into high production of anything and this machine seems to be able to stitch thin to thick. Opinions on that thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Neugi