Chief Filipino

Acrylic Resolene and Neatsfoot Oil Question(s)

I have some questions regarding acrylic resolene and neatsfoot oil that I am hoping someone can answer:

1. How long will acrylic resolene last? If it is on a mask that is worn once or twice a year what is the expected life? 

2. Will neatsfoot oil penetrate a piece that has been covered with acrylic resolene, let's say the piece has seen moderate use for a few to several years. 

Typically it depends on how the Resolene sticks to the leather.  I would not recommend using the oil and the acrylic at the same time.  Neatsfoot oil is for adding back the natural oils to leather and helps it from drying out.  Sometimes I mix it with the second coat of color dyes, it helps make the color more even.  Then I will use a wax based top coat over that, but you need to let it dry for a few days, or the top coasts wont set well.  The Resolene is a topcoat finish that protects the leather and gives it a little shine.  This said once you top coat it with the acrylic you wont get much oil into the leather, also if you oil first then the Resolene  wont stick very well..  For the masks I would stick with the Resolene,, or a wax based finish.  You want them to hold there shape I think that would work better.

Forget the oil in the mask if you want it to retain it's shape.

Use veggie tan leather for the mask, . . . use as hot a water as your hands will handle when wetting it to form it, . . . lay it in a hot, sunny place to dry, . . . coat it with several light coats of resolene that is cut 50/50 with water, . . . you should wind up with a really hard mask that should last longer than you do if it is only worn a couple times a year.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've had two or three holsters over the years that I forgot to oil prior to sealing. I wouldn't normally worry about it, but I needed the leather to darken up a bit to match the rest of the set. If you brush on the neetsfoot oil, it will eventually penetrate through the acrylic sealer (usually overnight). I usually go back and apply another coat of sealer once the oil is completely soaked in. You should have no problem getting acrylic sealer to adhere to the leather if you oil it first. I oil everything I make 12-24 (usually 24) hours prior to sealing, and I have never had a problem with the bond.

Awesome thank you all for the input! I greatly appreciate it!