Boriqua

A little Belt help?

Hey Everyone .. so I made the western belt for the gentleman according to the measurement he gave me and I even undersized it by 1/2 inch but ... it landed up being a touch big as it doesnt work in the center hole but in the tightest one. So that leaves him a fair sized tail hanging out there. He asked if I could make him a keeper and of course I can but the belt tapers from 2.5 inches to 1.5. Where the keeper would go would be the 2.5 portion and he would slide in the 1.5 tail.

So ... its my stuff and I want it to look good. Sure he paid for it but I made it. So I am looking for suggestions on the best way to handle this. I figure first thing I can do is trim the tip. I left 5.5 inches between the last hole and the tip so I can trim that some but what about the keeper. I thought maybe I could punch two parallel slots that run parallel to the belt that are about 1.75 inches apart and run a leather keeper through that. It would be back in the 2.5 portion. I think that would look cleaner than just stuffing the 1.5 tail under a 2.5 keeper but ... anyone with even the most remote idea I would love to hear it. Sometimes it just takes yanking on a thread to come up with something cool and I am all about group ideas.

Bunch of pix here

http://www.boriqualeather.com/Gallery/index.php/Leather-Holsters/Western-Belt-and-mag-pouch-for-Colt-1911

western%20belt%203.JPG

wait... so you made a belt, and the guy fits it in the TIGHTEST hole?  lemme do a quic sketch... in 3...2 ... 1...

belt_size_c.gif

Okay, so if you got this, question is how much is between the holes (light blue) and how long is the tapered end (dark blue on left)? 

Is there enough distance that you can take it off the BACK end of the belt?  

Edited by JLSleather

This is all I got so far?? but I think I hate it

keeper.jpg

Edited by Boriqua

Untitled-1.gif

How far is this?

Edited by JLSleather

I want to say about 3 inches because if memory serves it was 4 to the curve. Yes because center buckle to end was 3.5

Edited by Boriqua

Well that should work, then.  Take the buckle off, take teh thread out on both top n bottom a couple inches past teh taper (back it out, don't cut it) and punch a new buckle slot between the screw holes (where the metal keeper is).  INCORPORATE both screw holes in teh slot.  The leather would then fold where the metal keeper now is, which should leave you about right.

Punch new slot

Untitled-1.gif

Measure distance end to new slot center.

Untitled-2.gif

mark SAME distance back on taper.

Untitled-3.gif

You sir are a genius and I feel foolish for not having come to it. Once again I owe a big debt Friend!

remove 4 spots

Untitled-4.gif

I just just just might get away with removing just the 2. Thanks man!!!!!!

Alex

Cool. I never would have thought of that solution. Good thing it was too long rather than too short.

Yeah, maybe get by taking out 2... just long as you dont end up with a button right where you need to burnish ....

take back the taper....

Untitled-5.gif

Move buckle and keeper to suit new location..

Untitled-6.gif

Again, if you BACK OUT the thread top n bottom, then when you cut it back, put back the same thread and your stitch line will not be broken or spliced.

You, Mr JLS, are a genius.

well I am going to wait until morning to tell him I have an elegant solution... I have to digest taking that really nice belt I busted my "A" on and cutting it up and unthreading stitching. I am sure with this solution and me taking my time and making it right it will look like I was never there but ... grumble grumble, piss moan.

But .. good karma out good karma in right? :)

Just now, bikermutt07 said:

Certainly is wonderful to have people like him willing to share!!!!!!

Well it was long overdue anyway but I just went and kicked in my $25 donation to the forum. Worth much more than that. Thanks again Jeff and Thank you to leatherworkers forum. Now if I can offer up what little knowledge and help I have to others its all good

Alex

11 minutes ago, Boriqua said:

well I am going to wait until morning to tell him I have an elegant solution... I have to digest taking that really nice belt I busted my "A" on and cutting it up and unthreading stitching. I am sure with this solution and me taking my time and making it right it will look like I was never there but ... grumble grumble, piss moan.

But .. good karma out good karma in right? :)

Certainly is wonderful to have people like him willing to share!!!!!!

Absolutely! Jeff helped me out IMMENSELY when I was working on my holster. Incredible.

Dam it I would like to have seen the keeper going through. I think that could be an interesting look. As far as I can judge the buttons will be in the way when trimmed back or at least the holes. It is a lot of work as against the keeper through method and it would sure give him room to grow. At the end he wants a keeper and therefor thinks it will work is that not so?Ask Him.

18 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

:rofl:  You guys is funny :rofl:

Nothing new going on here.. that was suggested by Al Stohlman about 60-ish years ago.... from teh book Belts Galore (recommended).

1 minute ago, JLSleather said:

:rofl:  You guys is funny :rofl:

Nothing new going on here.. that was suggested by Al Stohlman about 60-ish years ago.... from teh book Belts Galore (recommended).

That's one book I've been wanting to pick up - to add to my growing leatherworking library.

Think maybe that book was ©1950-something. I STILL get asked to do belts with those designs ;)

0634.jpg

Excellent.