whistler

Thumb Break Holsters

Most concealment holster seem to rely on a form fit for retention of the weapon. I prefer the additional security of a Thumb Break design. Anybody got any suggestion where I might find a thumb break concealment style holster pattern that I might adapt for my use. Thanks

Edited by whistler

I would have thought it was the other  way around... adapt the thumb break to the holster?  I mean, it has to fit the model first.  Thumbreak straps can be added to most I would imagine.

yea what jeff said ... you can take any of the patterns you may already have and so long as you have the blue gun or your unloaded gun its easy enough to add the thumb break. If I had any words of caution it would be,  be careful to still clear the mag catch when you extend your leather in the back for the actual break part of the thumb break. I also learned that if I am making a thumb break for something that is intended to be concealed I am extra careful about setting the break down as low as possible so it is less likely to get unsnapped with clothing and such.

I'm new at this and although I expect to make mistakes I was hoping maybe I could lessen them somewhat. Thanks for the advice,

26 minutes ago, whistler said:

I'm new at this and although I expect to make mistakes I was hoping maybe I could lessen them somewhat. Thanks for the advice,

I will see if I can dig up one of my patterns with a strap and post it.

Ok this is quick and DIRTY! all my patterns are on tracing film so I used one of Jeff's since its printed on paper. So his pattern is open top with no break ... I lay my gun on the pattern and am careful to line up where the mag catch falls  and where the rear sight lands and I make a mark where I ultimatly want the strap to go. Now like I said this is quick and dirty ... I dont know anyone that doesnt carry their 1911 cocked and locked so this would actually be too long but for illustration its fine. I then sweep my line up to that line above the hammer. I usually make my straps on thumb breaks around 24mm but it depends too on the gun. If I were doing this for real I might have swept my front line so it landed up falling where jeff has his stitch line because I would have sewn around the strap perimeter and would want a clean transition. Make note of how low I left the break. I used to make them all one length and it was dictated by the hardware I was purchasing. Stupid but I didnt know better. Custom is custom so I try and make the break for the application. If a guy is going to hid this under his shirt, jacket, tuck stuff in and around it then I make the break a little on the short side. I use one way snaps but still this keep the break out of the way. If its for a hunter guy and I know he is likely to have gloves on and such and will be wearing outside his cloths I make it about 1/2 inch taller. Its a little thing but it kind of matters. Hope that helps!

0603161305.jpg

0603161307.jpg

0603161308.jpg

Thanks to all that replied and very sorry for my being so slow to reply. Several things going on since my last post. Some pleasant and some not so pleasant but they kept me off the board. Again Thanks for all your help and I think with the help I've got I can take it an run with it. A mistake is not the worse thing in the world as long as I learn from it.