bob21804

Fireman's Helmet Shields

I've had a guy ask me about doing a couple helmet shields, that he'd like to give as gifts to his firefighter buddies. I've never done one, and know nothing about them. It'll probably be at least a few weeks before I can get started on them, so I'm hoping you guys can fill me in on making them. He'd like them to each have a large 2-digit number, the guys last name and a carved design/symbol. I could find some general info on ones being offered for sale online, but no details about how they're made. The type he'd like are called "Boston Front". I found a website that offers Boston Front shields, as well as "traditional" ones, but again, no info on the construction. To start, I'm wondering things such as:

• Am I right in assuming vegtan can/should be used? If so, what weight is usually used?
  • The pics I've seen look like they may be done with a couple layers glued and sewn together. Is this right?
  • How are the large numbers and names done? Are they cut through the top layer? Process?
  • Can anyone break down the steps of constructing these, or point me in the direction of a thorough explanation or tutorial?
  • Any other info you think would be helpful...
  • What is a normal charge for making these? (I'll give him a good deal, as he's a friend, and these are my first, but I don't want to  undercharge too much)

Like I said, I have some time before starting these, so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Bob

Edited by bob21804
Forgot something

Hi Bob, my name is Ian. I made a couple save the date fire shields for a couple about 3 months ago. I used veg tanned leather and went with two layers about 7oz each. i cut out places for the name on the top and bottom of the shield. if i had more time i would have cut the numbers into the leather top and glued it to the bottom piece. look on youtube for some general how to videos on how they are made. since i am new to leather working i charged $40 per shield, but you may want to charge more or less depending on skill and time involved. good luck and any other questions i can help you with please ask!