So I have three different color threads for my boss. White, red, and dark brown. When I use the red and brown on my test pieces they run perfect. Start on my project and the top thread starts shredding and a huge know on the bobbin side. If I change to my white and make ko adjustments it runs perfect. 

Any suggestions on why this might be happening?

.Even if the test and project pieces are the same thickness, are they from the same side? Does the project have a glued seam that you're sewing through? Is the project piece a firmer/softer  hand?  Are the threads the same brand?  Since it sews fine on a test piece, I'll presume the threads are the same twist.

It sounds like maybe a combination of the stiffness of the thread and the needle's interaction with the project leather.  I have white, black, brown and natural (good heavens...will the spool EVER run out?)  and the 'natural' color is a MUCH stiffer thread; presumably because it has a different type of, or maybe just more bonding.

When the needle starts its upward movement, the loop forms at the scarf and the hook picks it up...it sounds like the loop isn't forming correctly and maybe the hook is catching it right on the thread, resulting in tearing/cutting the thread.  If your white thread is stiffer, it may be forming the loop more easily, allowing the hook to pass like it should.  Double check the needle position, try a slight rotation either direction to see if it helps. 

Colored thread is notorious for being stiff and can be hard to sew with. I have a spool of black I can't do anything with.

2 hours ago, Colt W Knight said:

Colored thread is notorious for being stiff and can be hard to sew with. I have a spool of black I can't do anything with.

Black bonded thread is double dyed making it sometimes act like a coil spring. I had to use Weaver #207 thread to sew a couple dozen rifle slings last Saturday and it kept twisting around posts and guides and even itself. This caused numerous skipped stitches. The Weaver Chestnut brown thread did not have quite as much springiiness. If I find a source of non-coily black bonded thread, I buy more than one spool.

We use Coats bonded nylon. It seems about the best for not coiling too bad. We even use the black in T135 for the gimp thread in our keyhole button holes, (which has to be pretty much coil free).

Regards, Eric

Had a similar problem on a Boss that a mate had. The thread was dark brown but it was absolute garbage.

The two biggest problems with sewing machines are thread and needles