I'm interested in trying Montana Pitch Blend wax but it's not available in the UK and shipping/tax from the US makes it ridiculously expensive. I believe it's a blend of beeswax, mink oil and pine pitch/resin. I have the ingredients to make something similar myself but have no idea of the proportions? Does anyone have a recipe?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Thanks Tom, that's a good start. This is the MPB-ish recipe...

Leather Waterproofing
4 oz. beeswax
4 oz. resin or rosin (music stores carry)
1 pint vegetable oil
Melt the solids in the oil, and apply while warm.

It's a good starting point. If I switch out the veg oil for mink oil, I should be on the right track. I might also try a batch with linseed oil too.

It's a very oil heavy blend, in ratios it's...

1 part beeswax
1 part resin
5 parts oil

Be careful with linseed oil.  Raw linseed oil never dries, stays sticky and gummy.  Boiled linseed oil has driers or other chemicals added to it so it will dry.

Tom

7 hours ago, northmount said:

Be careful with linseed oil.  Raw linseed oil never dries, stays sticky and gummy.  Boiled linseed oil has driers or other chemicals added to it so it will dry.

Tom

Yeah I know, I made a waterproofing wax for canvas recently that was 1 part beeswax, 1 part turpentine (the real stuff) and 1 part boiled linseed oil. I used it on a canvas rucksack and am really impressed with the results. It took about 10 days to fully cure, but the end result is really good. I was talking with spectre6000 recently and he's had really good results with linseed oil in his oil experiments here:

I've always avoided using it on leather because it polymerises and I assumed it would stiffen the leather, but I'm curious now. I'm going to make up a couple of small batches of wax with different recipes and test them on swatches.