Hi All.

Does anybody have any patterns for stitching gloves, I have been making a gun belt and holster and my fingers are well sore!

Regards Forester

I don't have a pattern for gloves, but .....

For those long runs of hand-stitching, I've found that athletic tape is a good solution.  I wrap fingertips to help prevent awl and needle pokes somewhat, and wrap pinkies where the thread rubs as you pull to tighten.  Be sure to use cloth tape rather than the plastic finish type, as it has a good bit more grip for pulling needles.  It also has the advantage of being clean and fresh every time you use it, as well as being cheap and effective.

Bill

Thanks for your reply bill I will try your solution.

Regards Forester

I wear nitrile work gloves that I bought at Sam's Club - 12 for $10 - they are very form-fitting and allow me to get a good grip on needles.  They are red cloth and black nitrile and last a long time.

I use mechanics gloves with the thumb and pointer finger cut at the knuckle.  Helps with dexterity.  I leave the rest full so I can use them to pull.  

Thankyou for all the replies. Mechanics gloves sounds good. Will see what i can find on the net.

I actually wear disposable vinyl gloves as they provide a good grip in the needle witch save having to work the grip really hard and getting cramps.... and for the odd time I get a poke in the finger it keeps the blood off the work until I notice and can repair myself.

I do all hand stitching and if I have the awl holes punched and have trouble with sewing I use a small pliers to assist  pulling 

the needle through. The only time I really need it is on holsters with 4 to 6 layers of leather. I do have arthuritus in my right thumb

and the pliers really helps. A good sharp awl really helps with stitching.

Yup needle nose for sure and also on thick job dampening the stich are has helped.

I've just sewn a couple of simple finger-sized tubes out of deer hide to slip over my pinkies. Works great.

Yes, me too. Two leather tubes over two fingers. I was thinking about the archers gloves, but tubes work fine for now. 

Edited by olenawills

I cut the fingers off an old pair of (riggers) gloves and use one on each little finger. Helps to protect the fingers when pulling the thread (until your fingers toughen up :)).

Baseball batting gloves, easy to handle thread and good for picking up small tools.

I use a bandaid on each little finger and on thick stuff an ordinary pair of pliers to pull the needle.