oakenlander

Oakenlander Briefcase Prototype 3 - Slim briefcase/portfolio

Just wrapped this one up last night. I really like the look, however, the latigo will not work for a final case (too light/flexible). I look forward to tweaking this a little bit and reconstructing out of english bridle.

oakenlander_briefcase3.jpg

Nice work. It almost looks like suede.

I think I would tweak the handle.

Any shots of the interior?

Very elegant and pretty bag with nice stitch work.

I agree with thefanninator about the handle. It s crude by comparison with the rest of the bag and seems like it would be uncomfortable with seam as prominent as it is. There are more streamlined ways to construct a handle.

The other weakness I can spot, and I had to look closely, also relates to the handle, but this time how it is attached to the bag. The loops that go through the brass square rings are stitched all the way across the straps. This perforates the straps across their widths, weakening them significantly. I'd suggest making them in an arc across the strap or a rectangle inside the strap's widths instead. Overall the stitches also seem a tad long but that is mostly personal preference.

But, like I said I had to look close. That is a bag to be quite proud of.

Michelle

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I agree about the handle; it's not the most comfortable. There is another design I'm going to try which should also address the stitching concerns there as well (I'll be switching out the current). More pics coming shortly.

Alright, I redid the handle and it's much more comfortable. This will work (ignore the accidental stitching detail in hardware loop; I grooved all sides, haha). A few more shots:

horween_slim_brief_tan_1280.jpg

horween_slim_brief_tan_flap_1280.jpg

horween_slim_brief_tan_interior_1280.jpg

horween_slim_brief_tan_handle_1280.jpg

horween_slim_brief_tan_hold_1280.jpg

Did you use Valerie Michaels book The Leatherworking Handbook for this? Looks similar and I made one from her book.

Any plans for the edges?

I noticed you used double brass loops instead of D-rings to attach the handle... Any particular reason? Aren't loops usually used for straps to adjust the length?

Edited by thefanninator

I didn't; just cranked it out. I'm not sure what I'll do with the edges yet. I understand that latigo edging can be a pain to deal with and I think I remember reading to just bevel them and use edge paint (although I don't mind them as they are). Also, I plan on covering the inside stitch work on the handle - and anything on the side panels - in the same manner as what was done with the lock.

Regarding the double loop vs. D-ring, it was just a preference. Although, I'm going back to the rounded double loop as I like it better.

Edited by oakenlander

I use edge paint for almost everything now - I would recommend not beveling the edges if you use paint.

Ok! I'll keep that in mind.

Nice! Im making something similar just now.

Have you considered using stiffener? Helps a lot with the rigidness.

Nice briefcase. You could also line it, if you make another with the same leather. I have some nice horween horse I just obtained to line stuff. It's a luxury. 

+1 on the double loops...works great with the design. A square lock would have been my choice though 

The double loops also reduces the stress on the handle which should make it last longer theoretically. 

This briefcase look very nice with comfortable handle. We also deals with leather briefcases and folder. You can visit us here

Edited by savagesupplyco