I wore those boots for 16 months. Carl Chappell said the veg tan vamps would crack quicker than the chrome tan vamps so not to use veg tan for vamps. The ankle area with tooling started breaking apart.  The first pair of slip on style boots with tooled uppers didn't do that in Those were the last pair of lace up boots I made but in January one of my buddies wants a pair of 12" tall lace up logger style boots. Probably all Kangaroo. 

Carl Chappell's book is pretty good. His shop is only about an hour from my house. I took a I day personal class from him and that pretty much answered all questions after buying his book.

Bespoke Shoemaking by Tim Skyrme is a good book too. It has information about design and patterning. 

Aww man, that is tough to hear. They are/were beautiful for sure.

Cool, thank you.

Maybe someday I’ll post pictures of my hats and coasters and gloves and stuff. I’ve done a flat cap, a tamoshanter (kinda, sort of, Dad likes it....), a tricorn and I’m working on a mad bomber hat, but somebody today said it’s not a bomber, it’s a Mongolian. And gloves to match. Peach colored garment weight lambskin. They may not look like much when I’m done, but maaaan will I be warm!

14 hours ago, Tim Schroeder said:

I wore those boots for 16 months. Carl Chappell said the veg tan vamps would crack quicker than the chrome tan vamps so not to use veg tan for vamps. The ankle area with tooling started breaking apart.  The first pair of slip on style boots with tooled uppers didn't do that in Those were the last pair of lace up boots I made but in January one of my buddies wants a pair of 12" tall lace up logger style boots. Probably all Kangaroo. 

Carl Chappell's book is pretty good. His shop is only about an hour from my house. I took a I day personal class from him and that pretty much answered all questions after buying his book.

Bespoke Shoemaking by Tim Skyrme is a good book too. It has information about design and patterning. 

Tim, what's the name of Carl's book?  I'm coming up empty handed.  My google is weak.

Chappell Boots.url  It's called The Boot Book By C.T. Chappell.  940-995-2600  He's not there until noon  (CST)  If he doesn't answer you will just have to keep trying until he does. He's a great guy to deal with. 

C.T. Chappell Boot Shop and Seminars

Nice Job!