ndnchf

Singer 29-4 repair

College Sewing ships worldwide AFAIK. Not sure how much they charge for shipping to the US but shipping for small orders is around 8 GBP to Europe. But most parts you need are available on Ebay.com too. Or check with dealers who have add banners on top of this site.

I grind down the rounded sides the way that the BCL moves freely up and down just like the old part when mounted to the revolving handle. Maybe you have to grind down some spots on the revolving handle too. This is a bit of trial an error. I think I have mounted it 5 or 6 time until it worked. A Dremel tool is very helpful for this.

I wont say that college sewing freight to the USA is cheap but considering they are new parts many of which can not be found over here, it is reasonable. Be aware all prices are in British pounds so the exchange rate makes them a little more expensive.

12 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

@Sovran81 I Did do the hole through and quite a lot of other as well and like you was convinced it would work BUT the top thread has to be able to completely go over the bobbin some how or you get a chain stitch which is all I could ever get. If there were a way of doing it, it would be worth millions I know. Please study the full process before spending to much on it. Trust me I wish you the best of Luck.

I understand what you mean about the top thread looping over the bobbin to form the knot. I tried watching it last night without the needle plate in place and the bobbin kept popping out before a stitch was formed. I will have to make a plexi needle plate so I can see whats happening. I know the thread cant get around the hook because of the shaft and I dont see how it can get between the hook and bobbin holder to form that loop. I guess it will have to wait until I cut out the clear needle plate and watch it work.

ATM ( due to concerns about "Brexit" ) the UK pound has fallen in value somewhat, making things cheaper if ordered from outside the UK..If the UK votes to leave the EU, the pound will probably ( IMO and that of many observers ) fall much more.. are you a "betting person" ;)

ps..That isn't a "political judgement"..but as someone who has businesses registered both in the EU ( France ) and the UK..I watch currency movements and UK, EU "events" as they affect me and how much I pay , am paid..

Edited by mikesc

Thanks guys.

I decided to assemble the BCL and motion ring parts I bought to the head assembly to see how much wear I have. I set it up with a dial indicator at the very tip of the BCL so I could measure total movement (slop) of the fit between the ring and BCL nub that fits in the ring. With my finger I moved it back and forth. Total movement was .020". There had to be some manufacturing tolerance when new, maybe .010"? If that is the case, wear to the tip of the BCL is about .010". So is .020" total movement at the tip considered excessive? That doesn't seem bad to me. It would be nice to know what the slop is with new parts as a reference point. Thanks!

Bcl wear.jpg

I didnt use a dial indicator. On the old set I could 'feel' play, New I could not feel play. Check for play between the needlebar and bushing also. Too much in this area will affect stitch length and the ability for the hook to pick up the top thread. The .080" deflection(at the needle tip) that was in mine caused intermittent skipped stitches. 

Regarding going bobbinless, the top thread has to pass both over and under the bobbin and shuttle. In standard operation the bobbin case/shuttle holds the entire bobbin load and only exposes the loose thread on top of the case. The top thread is picked off the eye of the needle, then fed around, and over and under the shuttle. This is how it forms a type 301 lockstitch knot. This works fine when there is a bobbin in play, but fails when the thread is fed from under the bobbin, then through and out the top. In effect, the top thread captures the bottom thread twice; on top and bottom of the shuttle. The results is a chain, not a lockstitch.

That is one of the clearest explanations without a diagram that I have seen on the web about anything , not just sewing..raises hat / glass to Wiz :)

Wiz is the man and I know he is right. I just cant wrap my head around the operation like I can other machines that allow you to watch it knot.  

On June 17, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Wizcrafts said:

Regarding going bobbinless, the top thread has to pass both over and under the bobbin and shuttle. In standard operation the bobbin case/shuttle holds the entire bobbin load and only exposes the loose thread on top of the case. The top thread is picked off the eye of the needle, then fed around, and over and under the shuttle. This is how it forms a type 301 lockstitch knot. This works fine when there is a bobbin in play, but fails when the thread is fed from under the bobbin, then through and out the top. In effect, the top thread captures the bottom thread twice; on top and bottom of the shuttle. The results is a chain, not a lockstitch.

That is a good description. What if the lower thread fed from beneath the machine, through a hole into the center cylinder of a bobbin, then out of the center cylinder and was wrapped a few times around an otherwise empty bobbin before being picked-up by the top thread? Could that be made to work?

7 hours ago, GPaudler said:

That is a good description. What if the lower thread fed from beneath the machine, through a hole into the center cylinder of a bobbin, then out of the center cylinder and was wrapped a few times around an otherwise empty bobbin before being picked-up by the top thread? Could that be made to work?

No

Can we just be blunt about this? Sorry NO

I think you will have a hard time drilling a hole through the center of the small shaft of the shuttle carrier. And BTW there is a small screw going through the shaft of the shuttle carrier which attaches the driving gear to it. Check out a 29K parts list with exploded drawing (this is from a later model 29K but basically the same around the shuttle). #14 is the one of the tiniest parts in this machine but it kills your idea.

29K71.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Well, I'll just have to see how many stitches per inch I get with the parts I have.  Not sure what that .020" movement at the tip will equate to in stitch length loss.  But if it is excessive, I'll try to weld up the BCL nub and fit it closer.